EPC light and check engine warning

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
smyffalis
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

EPC light and check engine warning

Post by smyffalis »

Hello. I've had my TSI for 6 months now and no real problems at all with it. Last week though when I was driving in heavy traffic, the EPC light and CEL popped up. I saw the rpm started to fluctuate and drop to around 500rpm. I wasn't sure what it was, so I turned it off and on again to see if it would fix it. It didn't. I had to drive on to the next set of lights where I restarted it again. This time the light went out. I did note that it would go above 2500rpm I believe. The engine felt a bit hesitant and lumpy.

So I have driven it for the past week (been busy and thought it might have been the dsg overheating or something). Last night though I was headed home. I was driving hard enough when I could then cruising on the motorway then up through a 30mph zone. I saw the CEL and EPC warnings come up again with similar symptoms again. It. Took 2 restarts for it to disappear then drove ok after that.

I've done a bit of googling and I reckon it could either be coil packs or throttle body issue?! My car was only in for a service 2 weeks ago. It has done 63k and it. Is just about to turn 4. I would have been under the impression that if it needed changed the dealer would have done it and charged me...

Cheers. (I know viper has posted about cel but I don't believe it to be the same issue hence the new thread!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: EPC light and check engine warning

Post by RW1 »

It may be bad news....... thats like a piston(s) failure. Age is old enough to have been run when new with the knock sensor interpretation in the ECU map being wrong leading to induced misfire. This was not imediately obvious to the driver until the engine failed totally. Even though it may have had the 24S4 update 2 years ago, the damage will have been started in one or more pistons as a fracture. Over time the weakness can continue at a slower pace until ultimate failure occurs.

What's the oil level/oil consumption been like recently?

If you can take the spark plugs out, look for oil on the piston crowns and plugs. This will confirm it.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
smyffalis

Post by smyffalis »

Thanks for the quick reply. It hasn't used a drop of oil before or after the service. Checked it this morning and it was fine. Had a listen to under the bonnet and there is a sort of whirly rubbing sound when it is ticking over. I can hear this with the bonnet down. I haven't heard it doing this before but it doesnt sound that bad.

Treid reading a fault code via bluefin as I don't have access to vagcom and nothing came up. Someone told me it might show it! Car was remapped 10k ago.

I am getting my brakes changed by a mate soon who is an excellent mechanic. Am I best getting him to look into it rather than my local dealers costing me a fortune?

Edit, i just find it a bit strange as it will go away and run fine 99.9% of the time.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

For the mechanical side, he'll be able to do it as its nothing exception to look into the cylinders on this engine.

You might take a copy of this post to have to hand.... Spark Plug removal 1.4TSi. A couple of stout tie-wraps crossed over can be a good substitute for the coil puller tool. (Do not use a screwdriver to lever out :shake: )

No oil drop is a good sign the piston(s) may not be fractured. Not wise to continue driving it in the condition describe though until fixed. New engine can be very, very expensive fully exchanged/fitted. (£4k)

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
smyffalis

Post by smyffalis »

Was going to give it a go. Had to make some necessary journeys and the EML has popped up as well as EPC being on and off. Still haven't lost any oil. Gave my dealers a ring and they have it booked in after the new year :/. Best he could do. So she will be off the road over xmas when I need it most :@ going to get insured on a relatives car. I will do some research into it and keep everyone updated!
smyffalis

Post by smyffalis »

Never bothered updating this sorry...

Throttle body sensor needed reset, dealers done it and it was working fine. It did take them a while to work it out after several code clearings and test drives but it got sorted in the end. Hopefully this can help save everyone a bit of time and money!