RNS firmware and map cd

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
dstill
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic sunroof
19 inch Lugano black alloys/pack
RNS 510
Winter pack
Folding mirrors
Reversing sensors
Full interior LED's
Cruise control
Alloy footrest

RNS firmware and map cd

Post by dstill »

Been trying to work out which is the latest firmware and where to get it from. There's so much information on various forums I'm just plain confused. I've also heard you can kill the unit if you load the wrong firmware, is this likely? Can anyone help, it's really frustrating because my unit won't allow full postcodes to be entered hence why I want to get the correct firmware.

I don't have a cd for the maps, where could I get one for a reasonable price? :yes:
mordred1973
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Re: RNS firmware and map cd

Post by mordred1973 »

Hi dstill.

I can only tell you of my experience, I got hold of a more up to date firmware, but my unit died whilst I was trying to install it. whilst not a common problem, it is a known risk of trying to update firmware. Having spoken with a couple of non-VW suppliers of RNS510, they both told me they would never try it themselves because of the risk involved. Weigh up the risk, I'd not try it again though, but many people on ehre have done it successfully.

As for Maps, there's lots about for sale, often with speed camera locations as well as full postcode recognition. Interestingly the last 2 places I tried to go to using postcode, the unit couldn't find the postcode, so guess they're newer than the 2 year old map I have.
skippy
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

I recently contacted this company about a possible updated disk http://www.autoteileltd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did not actually buy anything from them, but they responded quickly to emails. I refuse to pay £160 which was quoted by my dealer for an updated disk. Like yourself, I only have first 5 characters of the postcode, but I am loathed to risk anything going wrong with a firmware update, so I am still on my original maps (v4) and default postcode search.
skippy

Post by skippy »

Forgot to say, I would be happy to buy a new map, say one revision behind the very latest at a reduced cost, wonder if dealer can do those. Don't see the point of paying top dollar for the very latest.

I am not sure if I want to trust disks bought on eBay.
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

there is little risk from the maps, I'll not say where mine came from but it's worth getting them from someone you know, so you know they work.
Starshaped

Post by Starshaped »

Do you happen to know which version of RNS510 you have? Version B requires firmware update then new map disc to get 7 digit postcodes,version C and above just requires new disc. If you decide to get from dealer wait as Version 9 disc comes out January time here,we are still on 8 although you can get a pirate off Ebay now.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

It's also difficult for some to find their version of RNS. I think mine is a C, but it can't be updated to go past the "2GB" limit apparently, so this is something I gave up on ages ago.
skippy

Post by skippy »

Ryy wrote:It's also difficult for some to find their version of RNS. I think mine is a C, but it can't be updated to go past the "2GB" limit apparently, so this is something I gave up on ages ago.
Yes - I don't think I will bother with the expense, I think mine is a model 'A', but even with V4 maps, I can't believe there are that many differences. Only once I was travelling down a new piece of road and the MFD reported 'off road' on the display. Post code issue is a pain I must admit.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I have V5.1 maps, and I'm happy with them to be fair.
Starshaped

Post by Starshaped »

The official line from VW is that Version A cant be updated for 7 digits,Version B can be updated and they have a disc to go to a slightly newer firmware to do it,Version C onwards no update is required.

Unofficially however people use the very newest firmwares that they have downloaded off the net for say a Version H and put them on older models which have slower processors etc this is the type of thing which will cause problems if there is going to be any.

The maps can be updated no problem,you can get the newest maps on your version A or B but you just wont have the 7 digit input,V9 will be out here soon as it is on VW Germanys site and pirates are on Ebay.