Steering Issue

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
McGiver
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box

Steering Issue

Post by McGiver »

Hi all,

I have recently become aware of particularly over light/sensitive steering in my Scirocco 170 GT (with 19” wheels).

I don’t think that the issue is a lack of grip coming from the tyre (although these will need to be replaced within the next 2000 miles or so); it is more that there is a lack of weight and feeling through the steering wheel itself. There also feels to be a little too much play in the steering rack, which may be a contributing factor to the lack of feedback from the reoad.

The problem becomes particularly noticeable at speeds in excess of 40mph and not so much driving around town (I know that the steering is all electric now and speed sensitive).

The car is now on about 12k miles and the problem is present in all 3 ACC modes. I have done all the obvious checks in terms of tyre pressure etc. but everything seems to be as recommended.

I’m a little frustrated as one of the main reasons for buying the Scirocco in the first place was because of its handling. I’m also a little confused as I am sure this problem has only recently become apparent and was not there when I first purchased the car (I have had it approximately 9 months now).

My previous car was a MKVI Golf (140PS) and the steering felt much heavier than what I have now. I have also recently driven my old man’s MKV Golf and the steering is also much heavier in that (i.e. this is not just in my head!).

I would really appreciate it if anyone could suggest any possible causes for the issue and recommend any potential solutions.

Many thanks.
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Re: Steering Issue

Post by Deacon »

Could you have hit a pot hole, etc and knocked the alignment out or bent or damaged a suspension / steering component?

I had my Scirocco's geometry set at Centre Gravity and the difference was night and day from how the car had driven before. I had it done around 12K miles just after replacing my front tyres (which were shot). I did notice a considerable change in the handling behaviour as the tyres got to the end of their life - maybe it's just that that is causing your problem here if you've not had any pothole or kerb run ins?
playing in my '86
McGiver

Post by McGiver »

I do not recall any occasion where the alignment would have been knocked out and certainly nothing that would have caused any suspension damage.

It probably wouldn't hurt to replace the front tyres sooner rather than later and get the tracking checked at the same time to see if this has any effect - tyre wear would also explain the gradual appearance of the issue.

I assume any faults with the steering rack, the power assisted motor etc. would show up as a fault?
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

The steering does have "weighted" electrical settings. What you describe suggests that the steering controller may have a fault. The only way is to poke into the diagnostics with VCDS and see what controller 03 - ABS Brakes adaptive setting is in the Adaption settings for "Dynamic Steering Recommendation". There are three settings - High, Average & Low on channel 54.

Also if a fault code is present, I'd expect a dash warning lamp on though.

Are both front wheels following the steering wheel turning when stationary? Or can you actually see a free play movement.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
McGiver

Post by McGiver »

There seems to be an excessive amount of play in the steering when stationary or driving in a straight line.

It's almost as if the electric steering can't keep up, as such feedback from the road is very vague resulting in the car feeling as though it is 'floating' when cornering.

Although probably completely unrelated there is also a 'buzzing' coming from the wheel (most noticeable when parking).
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

i found even in sport the steering on the rocco was always lighter than than our Mk5 GTI and my Mk6
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Withnail

Post by Withnail »

My car is exactly the same model except I have 18 not 19 wheels and is also just coming up to 12000 miles.

Serviced a couple of weeks ago and recently both front tyres replaced (looks like somebody put a knife through the first one).

Exactly the same problem - loose steering, although Sport mode not as loose as comfort and neutral setting.
deadpheasant
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by deadpheasant »

I seem to have this too but thought it was a characteristic of the car at first as I've only had it about 6 weeks. It definitely feels like I have to turn the steering wheel more than I would have thought to get round a slight bend in the road or junction. I'm still under the Das WeltAuto approved warranty so might try and get it looked at. Although, it has already been in twice - once for the DCC light flashing and the other for front wheel alignment. The front wheel alignment did make a difference - for about a week. And the VW dealership said that there was nothing worn under there. How much I trust them though is another thing! I could always go to another dealership though to get a second opinion.