Extended Warranty

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Bushiee

Re: Extended Warranty

Post by Bushiee »

Is that quote just for 1 year? And i guess the more expensive quote is due to the engine size.
chr15
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Extended Warranty

Post by chr15 »

My quote was for a year. I think that is all they quote each time.
malaroo978
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Deep Black

Post by malaroo978 »

I've just bought an extended warranty for my 1.4 TSI 170 on my Golf MKV. At 56k miles on the clock for 1 year capped at 15k with £0 excess and full cover with breakdown included it came to £219 for the year :) very happy with that!

Does anyone know whether with the extended warranty they will look any harder to find a remap? I had a remap on my old 140 and had the N75 go and they didnt have a problem. I know having a remap/modifying does invalidate warranty if proven to be associated. But I just wondered if they were likely to consider it the same as standard warranty or might go looking deeper.
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

The remap bits an interesting question. Mines got a few mods and the warranty runs out at the end of this month. I wasn't going to do anything about this but am now wondering whether to renew it but then considering if there's any point due to the mods?

Hmmm... decisions, decisions
playing in my '86
RW1
Legend
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Make a phone call and ask. It may just raise the premium or they will say no. No skin off your nose :shrug:

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
malaroo978

Post by malaroo978 »

This is true, it does mention about no modifications though... I would assume they wont be happy but just wondered if since it's provided by a 3rd party then they might have to give more evidence to provide the repair.

I'm always worried about things like this, if they say no and I decide to do the remap then they might put a black mark against my name for asking then specifically check if its ever in!

Oh well, I've bought the warranty and provided my car comes back fixed I'll more than likely get the remap as birthday present to myself before the summer :)
martdy
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

chr15 wrote:
RW1 wrote:Just enquired with Volkswagen Approved Warranty ......
https://www.volkswagenextendedwarranty.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Based on today, (2012 year prices not yet declared) against my Scirocco

Comprehensive: £191
Named Component: £161
Driveline: £142

(For a 12 month period. All above quotes with £0 excess level. Repair/replacement work has to be at a VW dealer. Car annual servicing has to be at a VW dealer on time.)

No time limit on number of renewed years. Limited to 100,000 miles max. Has annual mileage caps, the above being 15,000 per year.

Notification letter of your user & PIN will only be sent out 2 weeks before the expiry of the 3rd year of VW's new car warranty. But they are happy to give verbal quotation like today, for me 10 months ahead based on todays prices. Just need your car registration and then ask the usual security questions about yourself before proceeding to quote.

C.
I never got the PIN letter so phoned them today and they said my warranty ran out Aug 11 which is not the case. So I found VW customer care who were very helpful and confirmed mine runs out 8th Jan. Girl I spoke to called the warranty people, sorted it out and then transferred me through.

I was just quoted for my car on 16k with a mileage cap of 15k per year

Comprehensive: £337
Named Component: £269
Drive Line: £228

All with £0 excess. The prices with the excess are not worth the difference.

Why is yours so much cheaper :mad:

Can't decide if I want it though...
So , my letter came thru and I tried an online quote but didn't work so I called them.
Prices were exactly the same as above. Similar car/age/mileage - except mines a DSG .
I asked for a quote with a £100 excess and the named component cover dropped from £269 to £212.
I thought that was quite reasonable for 12 months piece of mind so went for that.
Did a few quick online quotes with other companies before hand and they all wanted over £500 !
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
chrisyboyc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Leather,Criuse Control, Dynaudio possible RS6 alloys if i have cash

Post by chrisyboyc »

I'm about to take out a Warranty Direct policy as VW and Warranty wise want over £500 for 1 year Warranty Direct want £299
If you see S9 CTC driving around give us a wave I do 40,000 miles a year it gets lonely out there
lewis
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: metalic paint & winter pack

Extended Warranty - year three onward

Post by lewis »

According to the VW site an ‘invitation’ to extend the warranty at the end of three years – will be sent out approx. 28 days prior to the vehicle attaining three (MoT -time)

However, if (as I did ) you elected to receive no advertising or other bumph/literature etc from VW – then the ‘invitation will NOT be sent.

Nevertheless, a call to VW to-day resulted in the following telephone quote:

Vehicle 2.0l Gt Diesel 140

Mileage: 29700

3 yrs old on the 29th June 2012.

1. Comprehensive Cover (the top cover offered) : £326 – with no excess. £261 – with a £100 excess.
2. Named Mechanical Cover (middle cover) : £261 with no excess - £212 with £100 excess.

There is a third level – but did not bother in asking for those details.

I was particularly keen to establish whether or not the Cam Belt was included within the ‘Comprehensive’ cover – as I have asked for it to be replaced on the next (three year) service – booked in for 28th June. Not surprisingly (but a disappointment) this item is NOT covered.

Anyone think that it is worth taking out either cover ?

Jeff
Last edited by RW1 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post moved to topic already running on subject
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

I just called, (2.0TSi manual 37000 miles, they were only interested over whether it had done less than 60k) and was quoted the same as Jeff, £326, £261, £227 for comp and £261, £212 £ 183 for names components.

not decided yet, but possibly going to go for the COMP with £250 excess at £227 premium, then if anything major goes wrong (suspension?) I have catastrophe cover...the VW servising bit is not an issue as it only goes there every 18-19 months..
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Just taken out a VW E.W. policy - £207.01 for the Extended Comprehensive Warranty based on £0 Policy Excess level, no Roadside Assistance and mileage at 17,050 miles.

(Had to ring [within the 2 week run-up period to the Scirocco's original purchase date] as I had blocked VW marketing spam at the point of sale 3 years ago. Also, this blocking stops renewal reminders at the end of this policy each year. That can be unlocked on the phone with them specifically for the VW warranty cover policy only.)

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
SCOTT

Post by SCOTT »

I have just looked into this myself, however was rather concerned looking at the list what is excluded from the policy, there does not seem much to cover for comprehensive.

Im no mechanic so im proberly missing something but could someone list what exactly is covered please and is it worth the extra cost per month? as that list worried me.

Has anyone tried haggling the price on the phone?

RW1 can i be cheeky and ask if you had the roadside assistance cover cheaper elsewhere please? also if i put 17k down with no roadside cover i can not get anywhere near that price.

anyone know what they base this on as the prices seem to vary
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Yes there are exclusions as listed on the April 2012 edition on page 15, but I just looked at it as covering enough and where the failures are likely to be. I wasn't seeking to cover wear & tear items as listed. At my low mileage per annum, a lot of that exclusions list won't wear out.
SCOTT wrote:RW1 can i be cheeky and ask if you had the roadside assistance cover cheaper elsewhere please?
Roadside Assistance was not required because my RAC Recovery & Roadside is already in place and covers for 3 cars of mine as well as being in anybody else's vehicle.
SCOTT wrote:also if i put 17k down with no roadside cover i can not get anywhere near that price.
If you read back in this topic its already been discussed but no reason why the 2.0TSi is dearer. If you ring them, ask! (or buy a 1.4 :D)

Factors?:
Mileage/usage is one pricing factor (obviously). Found that out in last January.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

I've just bought the VW Extended Warranty for my 2.0TSI DSG and got £260 with £100 excess with 26k on the clock at the moment. I expected the DSG to increase the premium so quite pleased with that price. It was the potential cost of a DSG failure that was my main concern so £260 is a small price to pay IMO.
Bill in Norfants
Audimartin

Post by Audimartin »

Does anyone know if you were to buy a car say 3 months out of warranty (3yrs 3 months old), whether you can still purchase a vw warranty or will they laugh at you?
froudeg

Post by froudeg »

A word of warning about VW's extended warranty.....

If during the life of the car (i.e. the 3 years under the factory warranty) a complaint about any fault was made by the owner to VW...but VW found no fault or did, what seems commonplace, 'thats normal, theres nothing wrong' fob off, then if anything fails during an extended warranty that remotely has similar symptoms - VW will refuse to process the claim as they will cite it was a 'pre-existing' condition.

This is regardless if they had inspected the vehicle and found no fault....the mere mentioning of a suspected fault to VW during the factory warranty period will be recorded on their systems, and anything failing with similar symptoms during the extended warranty period will be thrown out and claim refused.

This is whats just happened to me on a car i recently purchased that's only 3.5 years old and 30,000 miles. An extended warranty was taken out by the previous owner to start when the factory warranty expired.

I have a DSG fault and the previous owner brought it in with a similar symptom a few weeks before the factory warranty expired - as is common place the VW dealership did the usual 'there is no fault' - and attributed the reported judder to tyre pressures.

However this was recorded on their systems - so that now i bring it in under the extended warranty and because no repair was actually done (as they found no fault!) - they now saying it was a pre-existing condition!.....this is the level of customer service you get from VW - push the extended warranty on you and then go against their own findings (i.e. no fault) and anything on their system which may look like a similar condition they will use to throw out your claim!

By the way this is VW themselves refusing to even put the claim through.

Their warranty claims handling procedures are at best examples of disgraceful after sales customer service whose basis could never be legally enforced and at worst are fraudulent...bordering on criminal.

I am currently taking legal action against VW UK over the matter....i believe that's what you have to go to to get them to do what is both morally and legally right. Thankfully i have considerable experience with consumer law and legal claims....i don't take such despicable behaviour lying down!
froudeg

Post by froudeg »

Audimartin wrote:Does anyone know if you were to buy a car say 3 months out of warranty (3yrs 3 months old), whether you can still purchase a vw warranty or will they laugh at you?
Yes you can purchase an extended warranty but as above i would check every single piece of work that was done on that car and any faults reported (especially ones where they claim nothing was wrong).....as it will more than likely invalidate any claim for anything presenting remotely similar symptoms.

Also bear in mind if you have not been the owner of this car from new then VW dealerships tend to refuse to give out hardly any information on previous warranty work - it took me a lot a of digging and contacting various VW dealerships to prize the information out of them on previous warranty work.

One dealership said they could only answer 'yes or no' to a question - i had great fun playing a game of 20 questions....at one point i read out every day in a month and waited for a 'yes' to get a date of when work was done.

As i say, their warranty procedures appear to be structured to easily allow them to get out of a claim....they cite 'pre-existing'....i cite FRAUD!
selleym
Options: Mirror Pack

Mods:
Bonnet Struts
Metal Pedals

Post by selleym »

Reviving old forum thread.

Coming up for renewal.
Comprehensive £326.20 No Excess
Or £260.89 with £100 excess... mmm

VW AA Roadside assistance seems to be a bargain for the amount of cover.
Its £65. If i spec the same cover on the AA its £151.99.

Just trying to decide between the £100 excess or not. Knowing my luck ill pay the No Excess and nothing will go wrong or ill get the £100 excess and multiple things will go wrong!
Ha.
Anyone else coming up to their renewals?
selleym
Options: Mirror Pack

Mods:
Bonnet Struts
Metal Pedals

Post by selleym »

Ha just reading the exclusions list.
19. Ionising radiation or radioactive contamination from any nuclear fuel or the nuclear waste
arising from burning nuclear fuel.

Didn't know they had a nuclear powered rocco... :clap:

21. Acts of war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, terrorism, hostilities (whether war be declared
or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power, riot or civil
commotion, explosions, fire, radiation and falling objects.
22. Pressure waves caused by aircraft and other aerial devices travelling at sonic or
supersonic speeds.

Wow one way to cover their backs! :lol: Supersonic pressure waves...