Bigger or Smaller Wheels?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
andrej

Bigger or Smaller Wheels?

Post by andrej »

I wonder what is the difference between the 17", 18" and 19" wheels that are available for Scirocco? Is the fuel consumption higher with bigger wheels? I'm considering to buy the Donington wheels, but those are just 17" - I would like to use these in winter and for summer I would like the Talladega wheels which are 18" or 19".
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Re: Bigger or Smaller Wheels?

Post by Deacon »

andrej wrote:I wonder what is the difference between the 17", 18" and 19" wheels that are available for Scirocco? Is the fuel consumption higher with bigger wheels? I'm considering to buy the Donington wheels, but those are just 17" - I would like to use these in winter and for summer I would like the Talladega wheels which are 18" or 19".

I have the donningtons as my winter wheels and a set of 18" VWR wheels as my summers. Haven't noticed any difference in fuel consumption. The VWR's are relatively light 18's though so I think they weigh about the same (with tyres) as the donningtons do. I really like the style of the donningtons. Shame they didn't offer them in 18" too.
playing in my '86
James321
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

The rolling radius of the tyre should be the same on all those wheels, it's just the wheel that gets larger and the tyre sidewall that get smaller.
If the tyre was a larger diameter then the speedo readings would be out.

So in answer to your question; economy shouldn't change at all.
RS5, Scirocco R. You can never have enough R's
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

James321 wrote: So in answer to your question; economy shouldn't change at all.
Depends on the weight of the wheels being fitted
playing in my '86
Kageira
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Post by Kageira »

Yup, take more effort to rotate heavier wheels from a stand-still, so will use a little more fuel.

But that all depends on how often you start and stop during your journeys

:-)
James321
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Post by James321 »

An increase in unsprung weight of the wheels will have marginal effect on fuel ecommony, we are talking amounts you wouldn't really notice. A bit like saying "how much will my economy drop by having a bag of sugar in the boot"
And the mass of the wheel is nothing compared to the engine overcoming the mass of the vehicle and the friction of the tyres on the road, etc.
Ok so I'll revise my answer; it will be marginal, so marginal you will possibly not notice it.
RS5, Scirocco R. You can never have enough R's
andrej

Post by andrej »

OK, thank you guys for your replies. I will probably buy 17" for winter and 18" for summer.