Aftermarket Warranty

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Pheo
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box

Aftermarket Warranty

Post by Pheo »

Hey All,

Providing everything oes to plan I'll be picking up a viper green Scirocco tomorrow.

It'll be just over 3 years old, accordingly, the vendor (a large car super market) is trying to sell me a warranty. However I have some concerns as it only covers certain main items.

Just wondering if anyone here has any recommendations?
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Re: Aftermarket Warranty

Post by ayeaye »

I'm planning on going with VW extended warranty - surprised how cheap it was. Comprehensive with £100 excess came in around £260. Was expecting about double that.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Its a 3 year old secondhand buy! ;)

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Pheo

Post by Pheo »

I take it you have to buy the extended warranty before the original expires then?
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

If you own the Scirocco from new, the 3 year VW warranty can be extended annually through VW (UK) upto 100,000 total miles, time unlimited if renewed each year. Serviced/repaired at a VW dealer is the condition. The offer is made in the last 2 weeks before the standard 3 year warranty expires and is basically an insurance policy with various selection levels of cover and excesses. It operates through the VW dealer's service desk just like a 3 year warranty once they have your policy number, no paperwork to do separately.

It doesn't apply to buying a 3 year old car at 3 years. (As far as I know, pretty sure of that)
Discussed here.... http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... w+warranty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

RW1 wrote:If you own the Scirocco from new, the 3 year VW warranty can be extended annually through VW (UK) upto 100,000 total miles, time unlimited if renewed each year. Serviced/repaired at a VW dealer is the condition. The offer is made in the last 2 weeks before the standard 3 year warranty expires and is basically an insurance policy with various selection levels of cover and excesses. It operates through the VW dealer's service desk just like a 3 year warranty once they have your policy number, no paperwork to do separately.

It doesn't apply to buying a 3 year old car at 3 years. (As far as I know, pretty sure of that)
Discussed here.... http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... w+warranty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C.
Mmmm ??? Mine's just turned 3 years old. Had it from new and they've not contacted me. :shrug: :shrug:
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Did you elect not to receive mailshots. I think that stops it. I've got a note pinned up beside me here to ring them in late October just in case cos I'm pretty sure I said no emails at purchase time.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

I had to get in touch rather than them getting in touch for mine too.
playing in my '86
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Right, fired off an email to VW(UK) determine why.

I will split the relevant parts of this topic onto the linked VW Warranty topic later on so the story can continue there.

Back onto 3rd party warranty options on secondhand purchases for Pheo.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ayeaye
Options: Candy White Scirocco - August 2009 - March 2013
Now replaced with a MINI Cooper S

Post by ayeaye »

RW1 wrote:Its a 3 year old secondhand buy! ;)

C.
This on their website doesn't make it clear that you have to buy it whilst still in warranty or as the original owner:

"If your car no longer has a Volkswagen Warranty, you're still entitled to purchase a Volkswagen Extended Warranty."

Reads to me like anyone could buy one.
Pheo

Post by Pheo »

This is why I've asked them to call me back.

However I think you need to buy from a VW dealer or it doesn't work. Local one quoted me £370 for a year.

Anyone know how reliable the 2.0tsi is anyway? Maybe I just shouldn't worry!
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

ayeaye wrote:
RW1 wrote:Its a 3 year old secondhand buy! ;)

C.
This on their website doesn't make it clear that you have to buy it whilst still in warranty or as the original owner:
"If your car no longer has a Volkswagen Warranty, you're still entitled to purchase a Volkswagen Extended Warranty."
Reads to me like anyone could buy one.
At the time I rang last January, it was a continuation with a 2 week window. The operator was quite adamant about it. The operator did say there were changes coming so maybe they've broadened it out reading the website tonight.

See what comes back.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

RW1 - Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 pm wrote:Right, fired off an email to VW(UK) determine why.
[b]Volkswagen UK - 10.08.12[/b] wrote:Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding purchasing an Extended Warranty for your Scirocco. Please accept my apologies for
the delay in my response.

I have spoken to our Extended Warranty Team whom have advised that they automatically contact customers towards the end of the
Manufacturer's Warranty period when this information is provided by our Network of Retailers. Sometimes this information cannot
be shared when customers have opted out of receiving marketing information.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Yours sincerely
Customer Enquiries Advisor
Volkswagen Customer Service Centre
Which backs up lewis's post 25th June 2011 in the linked topic above 6th August 2012 @ 06:45pm.
lewis wrote:However, if (as I did ) you elected to receive no advertising or other bumph/literature etc from VW – then the ‘invitation will NOT be sent.
So make a note in your diary to remind.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

RW1 wrote:Did you elect not to receive mailshots. I think that stops it. I've got a note pinned up beside me here to ring them in late October just in case cos I'm pretty sure I said no emails at purchase time.

C.
Did I tick a box saying no mailshots - 3 years ago ? Not surprisingly I can't remember, but that would explain it.