Random internal beep/bong on cold startup

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Ramblas
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic sunroof
Dynaudio
Electric Mirrors

Random internal beep/bong on cold startup

Post by Ramblas »

Firstly, I apologise if this is a duplicate post.. I've searched for "bong", "beep" and "ding" but cannot see a thread which matches my issue!

Sometimes when I start the car I get a bong/beep/ding (the same noise as if the petrol light comes on or the low temp indicator - its not the louder battery bonging noise). I have tried for months to narrow down what it relates to as there is no accompanying symbol on either the MFD, the dials or the RCD510. If anything it is happening more and more often now but only ever when the car is first started.

I have the lights on auto as well as the wipers - I wondered if it was a ding to tell me the lights were properly on initially (ie dark enough for the interior console to light up) but it happens in bright daylight or at night.. but only when the engine is cold.

When I first got the car (second hand) in January it was occasional but it's becoming more and more regular to the point it does it almost every time I start it now. The only thing that has changed is the climate (UK resident) and it's warmer now (just about) than January.

The car's just been in for a service and I asked the nice chaps at VW to investigate it. Apparently no error messages thrown up and they were at a loss.. but of course it didn't make the noise when they started it.

I'm sorry if I'm being utterly stupid and it's a blatantly obvious cause I haven't considered.. but does anyone have any idea what may cause this?

For completeness I have a manual TDI170, MY2010 with elec mirros, dynaudio, parking sensors, tyre pressure sensors and sunroof

Cheers guys,

Phil
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: Random internal beep/bong on cold startup

Post by trix »

could it be http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... ong#p90536" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Ramblas
Dynaudio
Electric Mirrors

Post by Ramblas »

Cheers Trix, I'd looked at this thread but I've heard the muted bong of the battery complaining (sitting in a car park with the radio on and engine off). Also RW1 suggested that a good run would clear the beep if it were a battery issue.. I went up to Leeds and back last weekend 3 hrs each way and it's still doing it.. so I'd come back to the drawing board and posted this thread :/

It doesn't do it when it's off or when the key's in the ignition but engine not running, its exactly as the car starts (a-la the petrol beep etc). It's more of a "ding" than a "bong" as well
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

A single bing is the instruments panel's way of attracting your attention. It should be followed by a MFD warning and/or/with a Warning Lamp illuminated. A single bing is not critical to the car so not something to be overly concerned. But it needs to be bottomed out. And I would not expect to see any fault codes stored in the diagnostics. (Multiple bings are the concerning warnings cos the car's control has be compromised in some way.)

Does it occur with just turning the ignition ON or when the key is taken through to full turn to start the engine?
At what exact point does it bing, as the engine is still with starter engaged, as the engine immediately starts to run of its own accord?

Also where is your MFD speed warning to set to in mph?

Do you belt up before starting?

Switch the Autolights/Autowipers OFF. Any change?
(This I would possibly expect a chime/ding, if switched on as the key is turned in the ignition as in older VW's but
no one has remarked upon it before for the Scirocco.)

Any instrument warning lamps slow to extinguish during starting when it does it?

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Also - do you always run it with the fuel tank nearly on empty

Oh I see you've already thought of that.
Have you tried resetting the MFD to factory default?
IROC-CH
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: NAV, Xenon, Sport Pack, Comfort Pack, Multi-Function, PDC, ACC, Cruise

Post by IROC-CH »

Hello

Do you have the radio switched on and Traffic Program Selected ( TP ) Sometimes I will get a subtle bong through the speakers
Paralla
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS 510, Dynaudio, pano roof, dark anthracite satin finished 19" lugano's, cruise control, mudflaps, VW stainless steel sill plates, parking sensors, folding mirrors, 6CD changer, luxury mats, stainless steel pedal covers, 12" Alpine Sub, 1000W Alpine Amp

Post by Paralla »

I once went crazy in my old V6 Passat searching for the cause of a bong (I'm calling it a bong because it reminds me of my youth). Turns out I had left the indicator on when I removed the key, this leaves one set of sidelights on in VW's, I think its in case you break down or whatever you can have just one front and one rear parking light on to drain the battery more slowly than you would if you had all four parking lights on. Who Knew? Not me. I guess my Scirocco is the same. Not suggesting this is your problem, just that I understand your frustration.
Ramblas
Dynaudio
Electric Mirrors

Post by Ramblas »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's not done it for a few days (no change in my routine) so I haven't been able to try eliminating things one by one yet..