VW Bluetooth & iPhone 4s dropping connection.

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
nethers66
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, Bluetooth, Reversing Sensors, S2T DSG Paddle Extensions

VW Bluetooth & iPhone 4s dropping connection.

Post by nethers66 »

I recently (last week) upgraded my Iphone 4 to the 4s running 5.1.1. The 4 has always worked with the VWPHONE (factory bluetooth) without issue. I've noticed that the 4s pairs and connects correctly and works as it should but pretty much every day it randomly drops the connection to the VWPHONE though the MDF still shows it connected as normal, when the connection is dropped when I receive a call the phone rings but it doesn't relay the call to the VWPHONE if you answer the call on the phone you cannot select the VWPHONE from the source list. The only way to resolve this is after the call to flick the phone airplane mode off & on then reconnect the VWPHONE.

I've searched the web forums and the main difference between the 4 & 4s is that the 4 uses bluetooth 2.1 and the 4s uses bluetooth 4 which has a low energy feature which I guess may be the culprit, but Apple state that it is backward compatible to all previous bluetooth versions.

I've spoken to Apple but they are unaware of any issues and recommend VW update their software to fit the Apple one.

Anyone out there thats experiencing the same issue or has resolved it i'd appreciate any help.
Once an Alfaholic, always an Alfaholic!
maq
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: 19" Black Luganos/Style Pack, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensor, RNS-510 + VIM patch, VW Bluetooth & A2DP, Cruise Control, Aluminium Pedals

Re: VW Bluetooth & iPhone 4s dropping connection.

Post by maq »

I've started getting this since iOS 5.1.. Also, my other car also has issues with its bluetooth which is a kenwood/parrot unit.

Dissapointing, as all was working flawlessly before..

M.
ywwong
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White

Post by ywwong »

my iphone4s with iOS 5.1.1 is working flawlessly with the bluetooth module!
1.4 160ps DSG Candy White
Smidley
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Panoramic Roof, Sat Nav, 30Gb Hard Drive, Rear Parking Sensors, 6 CD Changer, Bluetooth Connectivity for Phone.

Post by Smidley »

ywwong wrote:my iphone4s with iOS 5.1.1 is working flawlessly with the bluetooth module!
Mine did for the first 2 months and then all of a sudden 2 or 3 times a week it rings without coming through the phone! Annoying to say the least!
malty
In: Night Blue
Options: Telephone Prep & DAB radio

Post by malty »

I'm getting the exact same issue. Upgraded from IP4 to IP4s and now my phone shows as connected but if I check my phone from time to time I notice I've had a missed call but the stereo system didn't ring out. Disconnect & reconnect and the problem goes away temporarily. Getting really annoyed now as this was never a problem before. Has anyone managed to fix???
nethers66
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: RNS510, Bluetooth, Reversing Sensors, S2T DSG Paddle Extensions

Post by nethers66 »

Best solution i've found so far is the ensure that the bluetooth auto play music is setup and the set the phone media playing - you don't have to listen to it, just make sure its running - this seems to stop the bluetooth going to sleep, i think its the low energy feature of bluetooth 4.0 on the ip4s that causes the problem.
Once an Alfaholic, always an Alfaholic!