Tailgate rattle/clunk

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Tailgate rattle/clunk

Post by RW1 »

Interestly today, no boot hatch rattle dispite the hatch bump stops missing. The rear hatch doesn't depend on the bump stops to sit in place (ie. the central securing pin is set to hold the hatch against the surrounding seal. Above in the adjustment posting with photos). They are there just to lift the hatch clear of the boot lock mechanism and give an easy hand hold.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

All my rattles have been due to the rubber balls that allow the parcel shelf to rise with the boot. The balls have about an inch of slack on their string, allowing them to bounce around under the parcel shelf, makes the car sound like a Spanish galleon.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
matija1974
Options: "18" Interlagos, RCD 510 with Dynaudio system, bi-xenon headlights, Sport package, cruise control, rear parking sensors...

Post by matija1974 »

ayc1985 wrote:Stupid snow!
I agree! Same situation here (central Europe, near Austria, Italy, adriatic Sea...) - lots of snow, to cold to melt.
matija1974
Options: "18" Interlagos, RCD 510 with Dynaudio system, bi-xenon headlights, Sport package, cruise control, rear parking sensors...

Post by matija1974 »

RW1 wrote:Interestly today, no boot hatch rattle dispite the hatch bump stops missing.
Mine's rattling dispite missing bump stops. :grumpy:
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

matija1974 wrote:
RW1 wrote:Interestly today, no boot hatch rattle dispite the hatch bump stops missing.
Mine's rattling dispite missing bump stops. :grumpy:
Is the hatch actually up against the seal all round, mine is, ie, you can't gently depress the rear hatch when locked further into the car? If you can, it's a securing pin adjustment to pull the hatch further up against the seal. Otherwise the rattle I would think is coming from something else, may like a cable loom in the boot or hatch door; or loose rear light; or parcel shelf hinges for example.
maisbitt wrote:All my rattles have been due to the rubber balls that allow the parcel shelf to rise with the boot. The balls have about an inch of slack on their string, allowing them to bounce around under the parcel shelf, makes the car sound like a Spanish galleon.
Fit some foam in the gap or shorten the cords a little so the ball can't swing as much.
Mine down hang down away from the shelf but not enough to touch hard anywhere while they swing about. ie the arch of swing is too small to have enough energy to bang the ball about.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
matija1974

Post by matija1974 »

RW1 wrote:Is the hatch actually up against the seal all round, mine is, ie, you can't gently depress the rear hatch when locked further into the car? If you can, it's a securing pin adjustment to pull the hatch further up against the seal. Otherwise the rattle I would think is coming from something else, may like a cable loom in the boot or hatch door; or loose rear light; or parcel shelf hinges for example.
No I don't think I could depress the hatch further when closed (I have to check this out again) but the securing pin isn't standing in central position accurately - 3cm from the left and 3,5cm from the right side).

You've mentioned the cable loom - are these cables put behind the plastic "lining" (not sure if this is the right expression) in the rear boot end? If they are, this could be the reason as the rattle can be heard from the full length of the boot space, not simultaneously of course but in dependance of the stroke spot (hope this is understandable :) ).
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Hopefully this picture will help. Plastic panel is removed and you can see the wiper motor loom and washer jet pipe routings.

C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RW1 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
matija1974

Post by matija1974 »

Thanks for the photo, RW1.

In my case, the plastic part that's covering the trim that you've mentioned has already been changed, so I've been driving with this part missing for a few days. It still rattled and I think it was not coming from out there but from lower boot area.

Although once when I put some soft rubber between this plastic cover and the metal hatch part it stopped rattling completely :yes: . When I removed the rubber it started ratlling again so I was sure I found the cause - the plastic cover. Sadly - not.

Putting the rubber back didn't help and I could never "find the right spot" again. Maybe my "success" was connected with the fact that at the same time the rubber was in place I was also sitting on the back seat (behind the co-passenger). The same experience described some german guy :eyepop: . Really odd situation.
andres
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: DCC, brown leather..

Post by andres »

Matija

reading your experience of the boot not rattling when rear seat is used: maybe the issue is in one of the back seats, more precisely in the locks. Had a similar issue with GF's VW polo, where I couldnt find the source of the boot rattle until I found out it doesnt rattle when rear seats are used .. then I quickly solved the issue with some silicone spray on the rear seat locks.

Try to first unlock the rear seats and put them horizontal position. If there's no rattle then you've identified the problem.
matija1974

Post by matija1974 »

andres wrote:Matija

reading your experience of the boot not rattling when rear seat is used: maybe the issue is in one of the back seats, more precisely in the locks. Had a similar issue with GF's VW polo, where I couldnt find the source of the boot rattle until I found out it doesnt rattle when rear seats are used .. then I quickly solved the issue with some silicone spray on the rear seat locks.

Try to first unlock the rear seats and put them horizontal position. If there's no rattle then you've identified the problem.
Thank you for your suggestion, andres, I'll check this out too.

Although the rattle disappeared only once when the right rear seat was in use. In all other cases when somebody was sitting in the back, it rattled anyway.
vee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Pdc and dynaudio sound

Post by vee »

Mine is still annoying and cant find the problem - even noticed a new type of ringing/vibrating sound coming from the rear.... - whats the chance of taking all the suggestions and putting in the roccopedia?
matija1974

Post by matija1974 »

vee wrote:whats the chance of taking all the suggestions and putting in the roccopedia?
:nod: :yes:
ayc1985
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Parking Sensors
Pano Sunroof
Cruise Control
Vienna Leather
Black 18' Talladegas

To come:

Sat Nav
Bluetooth

Post by ayc1985 »

Got my car back yesterday, the mechanics took their time telling me what wrong but it turns out they tightened the tailgate and there hasnt been any rattle since, seems to have done the job!
vee

Post by vee »

Where exactly did they tighten?
vee

Post by vee »

My dealer says there is a "campaign" from VW for the tailgate section of the car - mine is going in next week for this and the DSG software update - hopefully the noises are gone - I told them to tighten EVRYTHING!
PKV
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Clima-tronic, park-sensor, Black roof (interior) Donnington 17", Alcantara seats, aluminum pedals, black tinted side windows, Fog lamps, Nav. RNS 510

Post by PKV »

I got my Scirocco 2. february. Very nice car, but the first thing I noticed was the "rattle" from the back. I made the adjustment on the tailgate, as explained in this forum. It did help, but there was still a noise that I could not locate.
My car is a Van (I'm danish....taxes you know!). In the trunk there is a "metal-lid" that covers the space where the spare wheel is supposed to be. I don't know if the ordinary Scirocco has got this "metal-lid", but it sure was the reason for the rattling noise. When you hit the bottom of the trunk, you can hear the noise. I placed a few felt-pads between the edge and the "metal-lid". Now the noise is gone :) Maybe this can help some of you guys.
marksmith34
Options: Leather, Cruise Control

Post by marksmith34 »

I took mine in to get the tailgate rattle sorted. The dealer had it for two days, It no longer rattles, but doesn't 'pop' open. You have to stand there, repeatedly pressing the boot button on the key fob, whilst trying to lift the boot. I think the rattle was less annoying. Especially when you come out of Tesco's with loads of shopping, and can't open the boot.
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

marksmith34 wrote:I took mine in to get the tailgate rattle sorted. The dealer had it for two days, It no longer rattles, but doesn't 'pop' open. You have to stand there, repeatedly pressing the boot button on the key fob, whilst trying to lift the boot. I think the rattle was less annoying. Especially when you come out of Tesco's with loads of shopping, and can't open the boot.
So why have you not taken it back? It clearly doesn't operate correctly now.

Sounds like the bump stops are fully shortened and so provide no pop-up spring. Sure they haven't been locked down while they were making adjustments??? Gentley turn, with a slight push inwards towards the hatch mounting point, the rubber boots through about 1/8th of a circumference (either direction) and they should unlock outwards. Don't force any further in the turn or they may break.

Trouble is... if new ones have been fitted, then once unlocked, the overall length will need adjusting as well, to a shorter length than supplied. Done by using a 3mm allen key through the small hole in the rubber boot. Unscrew the Grub Screw almost fully out and then shorten the overall length on the rachet. Close it down to 3 ridges visible on the bump stop's body against the broad flat areas where it goes into it's mounting base and 4 ridges should be clearly visible in the flat depressions which are 180 degrees opposite on the base. That should give you the right pop up gap in the photo in my post on page 2. If not adjust bump stop length in or out accordingly.

TBH in this case, back to the dealers if they have been replaced and the length is unadjusted.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
andres
Options: DCC, brown leather..

Post by andres »

This might help a few troubled souls here. I had a boot rattle for the past few weeks and had trouble locating it. It wasnt the boot rubber balls. The noise was onlyo occuring when nobody was sitting on the rear seats. I located the noise, which was coming from the metal bar, which holds the seat in place, located under the rear seats (most easily visible from the boot compartment). I installed a piece of cloth to prevent the metal bar touching the metal floor. THis stopped the rattle completely. I'll attach pics later.

Hope this helps.
egobreed
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Nada!

Post by egobreed »

The creakiness of my Roc got unbearable a few weeks ago, so I had it in the garage on Wednesday. Kudos to Arnold Clark at Jordanhill, they've done a fantastic job. When I dropped it off, the guy called through to the workshop and found out that they'd received a technical bulletin from VW about creak issues.
Apparently, they've adjusted the boot stoppers (as seen elsewhere in this forum) and inserted some foam around the rear trim. I was expecting all the old squeaks to start up again after a few miles but so far it's been eerily quiet. I was genuinely amazed but I can't fault the job that they've done.