Engine Problem

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
johno
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box
Options: leather with electric lumbar support, steering paddles, reverse sensors

Engine Problem

Post by johno »

Hi guys, Johno here, new member from NZ. I would welcome any advice about the following; I have had my 1.4 TSI back at the dealers 3 times in 2 weeks, trying to address a problem with back firing/ stuttering when accelerating. This occurs before engine is up to temp, the engine light flashes for approx 20 secs then goes off. Sometimes it will happen again on same drive, other times only once. Fault comes back as a cylinder problem. Techs have changed the fuel pump, but still happening. Any ideas I can take to dealer would be appeciated. It is getting very frustrating!
RW1
Legend
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Engine Problem

Post by RW1 »

:welcome:
Hi Johno,

It would be useful to get hold of the specific Engine ECU fault codes the techies read off the Scirocco. Without them its not obvious why they've gone for the fuel pump and not the three typical misfire fixes of coil pack/plug/injector.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Deagol
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

Hi Johno,

The only problems I ever had with previous petrol VWS (1997 Polo 1.6, Mk IV Golf GTi 1.8T and Beetle 1.8T) were all failed ignition coils. The AA repair man said that VW are famous for coil failures. All three were signified by a lack of power / acceleration couple with "emissions warning" lamp on dashboard.
Good luck with the fix.
Baptised with Aerosmith
johno
Options: leather with electric lumbar support, steering paddles, reverse sensors

Post by johno »

RW1 wrote::welcome:
Hi Johno,

It would be useful to get hold of the specific Engine ECU fault codes the techies read off the Scirocco. Without them its not obvious why they've gone for the fuel pump and not the three typical misfire fixes of coil pack/plug/injector.

C.
Thanks for that.......hopefully the techs will look at all 3!
johno

Post by johno »

Deagol wrote:Hi Johno,

The only problems I ever had with previous petrol VWS (1997 Polo 1.6, Mk IV Golf GTi 1.8T and Beetle 1.8T) were all failed ignition coils. The AA repair man said that VW are famous for coil failures. All three were signified by a lack of power / acceleration couple with "emissions warning" lamp on dashboard.
Good luck with the fix.

Cheers I will ask about the ignition coils. Keen to get sorted!
daz3031
In: Candy White
Options: 18s, front fogs, multifunction steering wheel, cruise control.

Post by daz3031 »

I've got exactly the same problem right now. There's a topic in the tech area titled 1.4 misfire, probably on page 2 by now. Would search for it an put a link here but i'm lazy! :-p

My car has been in the garage and had ignition coils checked which were fine. It had seemed to got better just before i put it in garage but now it's back. Time for another trip to the dealers i think :-(
johno

Post by johno »

Daz,
I have just heard that they are going to replace the fuel injector (s). Hopefully it will finally get it sorted. They finally experienced the fault which was great given that it is intermittent. Fingers crossed!
johno

Post by johno »

Had the injector replaced....seems to run ok when cold now......only 3 days so fingers crossed
davo160
Options: 18"'s , Dual climate, Parking sensors RCD510, Lux pack, Winter Pack, Fiscon pro bluetooth.

Post by davo160 »

johno wrote:Hi guys, Johno here, new member from NZ. I would welcome any advice about the following; I have had my 1.4 TSI back at the dealers 3 times in 2 weeks, trying to address a problem with back firing/ stuttering when accelerating. This occurs before engine is up to temp, the engine light flashes for approx 20 secs then goes off. Sometimes it will happen again on same drive, other times only once. Fault comes back as a cylinder problem. Techs have changed the fuel pump, but still happening. Any ideas I can take to dealer would be appeciated. It is getting very frustrating!

I had same symptoms as this on my tsi 160 mk6 VW assist changed a spark plug still same ! Dealer changed all injectors next visit still same !! changed coils on 1st TO NEW DEALER seems fine now !! Hope they sort it mate let us know how you get on ?
davo160
Options: 18"'s , Dual climate, Parking sensors RCD510, Lux pack, Winter Pack, Fiscon pro bluetooth.

Post by davo160 »

johno wrote:Had the injector replaced....seems to run ok when cold now......only 3 days so fingers crossed

Did the injector sort this mate ??
johno

Post by johno »

NO BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!! Starting to get a bit pissed off.......5x back to dealer. They tell me Germany is aware of a problem with the 1.4 engine that is proving difficult to fix, Dealer suggests that I trade into the 2.0l GTI 6 speed engine. I would rather keep with the 1.4 TSI but sick of this!
davo160

Post by davo160 »

Thats a cop out we cant sort it so spend mote money on another car !!! Did they offer you back what you paid for it thou against a gti !!? ? let us know how you get on mate ?
johno

Post by johno »

Latest update....they have put a scope through the engine....has a burr??? So flying out a new engine from the factory. With only 7000 kms on it, they have admitted defeat and replacing. Getting there.......keep you updated.
davo160

Post by davo160 »

johno wrote:Latest update....they have put a scope through the engine....has a burr??? So flying out a new engine from the factory. With only 7000 kms on it, they have admitted defeat and replacing. Getting there.......keep you updated.

Have vw offerded you any form of compensation mate ? 7000kms and a knackered engine on a 20k premium brand car is not really acceptable is it ! ?
david25
In: Pewter Grey
Options: It' actually a Gold in Steel Grey!

Post by david25 »

Hi everyone, I'm a new poster (someone on http://uk-mkivs.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mentioned this forum after reading about my problems).

I've just had a new engine fitted on my GT160 Golf, after it lost power with the EML EPC lights coming on.

The problem wasnt fixed with coil packs, so the dealer carried out a compression test and found number one cylinder bad. Further diagnostics revealed a cracked piston, broken piston rings and scored bore.

From the reports in Germany, the problem is crankshaft bearing play, this means the piston becomes "de-centered" and starts wearing the bore, eventually you run out of piston ring and lose compression.

If you starts hearing a ticking noise (like the air con engaging) and together occasional loss of power, then you could have a problem.

This problem effects both 122 and 160ps engines across all VAG platforms.

This link is in German, but you'll get the idea using Google Translate;

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/liste-al ... 83186.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gio_italy

Post by gio_italy »

Hello there

I just want to confirm that a number of broken 1.4 tsi 160hp engines have been reported in recent weeks on the Italian scirocco and golf forums.
The German counterpart of this forum lists a dozen or so broken twinchargers as well ( http://www.iroc-forum.de/showthread.php?tid=9964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

As far as I know the symptoms are exactly the one mentioned by david25.
david25
In: Pewter Grey
Options: It' actually a Gold in Steel Grey!

Post by david25 »

gio_italy wrote:Hello there

I just want to confirm that a number of broken 1.4 tsi 160hp engines have been reported in recent weeks on the Italian scirocco and golf forums.
The German counterpart of this forum lists a dozen or so broken twinchargers as well ( http://www.iroc-forum.de/showthread.php?tid=9964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

As far as I know the symptoms are exactly the one mentioned by david25.
Hi Gio, do any of the posts tell us more about the root cause, for example are they blaming the crankshaft bearings?
gio_italy

Post by gio_italy »

Hi david25, all

First, I don't speak German and I had to rely on Google Translate to help me track the issue:-).

That said, I didn't see any mentions to decentered pistons. It seems to me that on iroc-forum.de and motor-talk.de the injectors are blamed as the root cause. Basically, the idea is:
the injectors get more and more clogged, this in turn increases the number of misfirings leaving some fuel inside the combustion chamber. As a result the oil film is progressively washed away wearing the piston rings.

On the other hand, my fellow Italian scirocco owners tend to think that in order to meet the euro 5 emission regulations Volkswagen forced the engine to run too lean. This would rise the temps inside the compression chamber ultimately damaging the cylinder. This would explain why the old 1.4 tsi 140&170hp versions were unaffected by this issue.

Let me say that AFAIK these are just speculations and are not really substantiated by hard facts (read: vw did not provide any sort of confirmation).
johno

Post by johno »

david25 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a new poster (someone on http://uk-mkivs.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mentioned this forum after reading about my problems).

I've just had a new engine fitted on my GT160 Golf, after it lost power with the EML EPC lights coming on.

The problem wasnt fixed with coil packs, so the dealer carried out a compression test and found number one cylinder bad. Further diagnostics revealed a cracked piston, broken piston rings and scored bore.

From the reports in Germany, the problem is crankshaft bearing play, this means the piston becomes "de-centered" and starts wearing the bore, eventually you run out of piston ring and lose compression.

If you starts hearing a ticking noise (like the air con engaging) and together occasional loss of power, then you could have a problem.

This problem effects both 122 and 160ps engines across all VAG platforms.

This link is in German, but you'll get the idea using Google Translate;

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/liste-al ... 83186.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HI Dave,

As you stated, I also heared the ticking noise....I actually thought it was the air con!
johno

Post by johno »

gio_italy wrote:Hi david25, all

First, I don't speak German and I had to rely on Google Translate to help me track the issue:-).

That said, I didn't see any mentions to decentered pistons. It seems to me that on iroc-forum.de and motor-talk.de the injectors are blamed as the root cause. Basically, the idea is:
the injectors get more and more clogged, this in turn increases the number of misfirings leaving some fuel inside the combustion chamber. As a result the oil film is progressively washed away wearing the piston rings.

On the other hand, my fellow Italian scirocco owners tend to think that in order to meet the euro 5 emission regulations Volkswagen forced the engine to run too lean. This would rise the temps inside the compression chamber ultimately damaging the cylinder. This would explain why the old 1.4 tsi 140&170hp versions were unaffected by this issue.

Let me say that AFAIK these are just speculations and are not really substantiated by hard facts (read: vw did not provide any sort of confirmation).
Hi Gio,

John here, I started the discussion, and as stated VW New Zealand are now going to replace the engine, a 1.4 118kW. Should I push for another size engine?