Engine Problem

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
johno
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box
Options: leather with electric lumbar support, steering paddles, reverse sensors

Re: Engine Problem

Post by johno »

Hi Gio,
Yes the engine was changed, but same hp. I have the 1.4 with the supercharge/turbocharge combo 118kw TSI model, sorry for the confusion.
I must check out if I have had the 5859 upgrade, as there is a definite a flat spot at low speed/revs.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

johno wrote:I have the 1.4 with the supercharge/turbocharge combo 118kw TSI model, sorry for the confusion.
might I suggest you change your profile then to the correct engine to avoid any further confusion
damianmkv

Post by damianmkv »

RW1 wrote:
RW1 wrote:

The update is a flash programming of the engine ECU only.
Interestingly, VW recognise mapped ECU's and the dealer is asked to enquire if the car has a tuned ECU. They have specific instructions regarding compatibility which the customer needs to consult the tuning company.

C.
I've had the 24S4 update today. It's now made my ( very ) intermittent problem happen all the time which I find so VW have kept the car overnight. No fault codes found even though the EG lamp has flashed on about 5 times since I owned the car.
davo160
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: 18"'s , Dual climate, Parking sensors RCD510, Lux pack, Winter Pack, Fiscon pro bluetooth.

Post by davo160 »

This Was fixed with a new plugs and coils at the same time on mine and 3 other cars on ukmkvs forum so if anyone one here is having the same that could well be your fix too :)
spoll
In: Reflex Silver
Options: 18 inch Interlagos wheels and sunroof

Scirocco 1.4 TSi engine problems

Post by spoll »

I'm not sure if any one has had the experience that I have had to endure with my 1.4 tsi that has just turned one year old with 30,000 kms on the clock. Two water pumps, one supercharger control unit and an engine rebuild for four new pistons.
Initial problem was the squeaking from the water pump. then over a period of some months there was an intermittent lack of power when pulling away. Backwards and forwards to the dealers and eventually after getting the factory involved for assistance the car was taken in. It had the water pump replaced again as well as the supercharger control unit. When this was done and VW checked the car they told me of a lack of compression on two cylinders and said they would have to replace all four pistons. Eventually after three weeks I got the car back and found that the VW workshop had reversed it into a pole. Another week at the panel beaters. The car is running okay now, but in the back of ones mind for how long ?
Any body had similar engine woes ????
BHL
In: Pewter Grey
Options: RCD510

Post by BHL »

hi there,

having a similer problem right now. 2010, manual 57k km on clock, superchips ecu remapped ( for over 2 years ) just added downpipe

1.4 tsi 118kw, low compression on cyl 2 nd 3, ( 6 instead of ~10.5 )

So I am told, as they cannot get seperate pistons, all 4 has to change.
and for a whopping sum of around 2.000 euros.

do anybody here know the engine codes, or the exact codes for the pistons and whatever else i might need? i would like to purchase them from ebay or something, as the tech says the parts alone cost over 1.000 euros
RW1
Legend
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

I suggest you check the cylinders for bore damage. Depending how the pistons have failed, it could have damaged the cylinder wall as when. Loss of compression is usually when cylinder bore damage has started with this engine. Borescope inspection is a must as you may be looking at needing a new engine block as well. And check No.1 & 4 cylinders as you have some pending damage which has not advanced as far as No.2 & No.3.

3 pistons depending on manufacturing date. That date is on your engine sticker with the engine number CAV ******** on the top right side of the cylinder head at the forward edge. It will pre-date the Scirocco's build complete week number by about 2 to 3 weeks.
Engine Date.JPG
Pistons complete with piston ring sets for the CAVD engine code.

03C 107 065BF - to 16.02.11
03C 107 065BL - 17.02.11 to 09.01.12
03C 107 065CE - 10.01.12 onwards

Piston is not part numbered separately and it wouldn't be wise to re-use any existing piston rings.

C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
BHL
In: Pewter Grey
Options: RCD510

Post by BHL »

update on topic;

got all 4 changed with oem. firing problem is gone, but there has been oil found in the pipes, and intercooler, caused by turbo leak, or something similar.

turbo has been changed before, and now the dealer will have a check on it too.
RCS1

Post by RCS1 »

Hello all

I'm looking for some advice, I own an 09 scirocco (march manufactured), and I'm experiencing some issues with engine compression. VW dealer currently have the car and are at an investigatory stage with regard to the specific cause. As its outside of warranty, I'm fearing a ridiculous bill looking at some of the posts on the site. I've had to have the turbo replaced in the past under warranty, and now with it covering just 29k miles I'm having more issues. I'd like some advice on where I stand. Looking at the frequency of reports of this nature with engine replacements etc I'm fearing the worst.

Thanks!
Bow
In: Salsa Red

Post by Bow »

Hi,

I am looking for some help/assistance. I have a March 2009 1.4 tsi 160 that has done 40000 miles and is having some issues. The car engine management light came on a couple of weeks ago and the car started to misfire. Fault codes read that there was a misfire on cylinder three and as a result all Coil packs and sparks were changed. This sorted the issue temporarily but then it started again. I have had the car in to VW in the last few days and this has resulted in them needing to take the engine apart. They have now discovered that a number of pistons have broken and the cylinders have been damaged. It looks like the car is going to need a new engine and that's where it currently stands. the car had the ecu updated in 2011 (before i owned the car) and has been serviced at V until the last service which was only an oil change. Can anyone advise if they have had this issue and if so what was the outcome. As it stands I am not being offered any sort of help with the costs other than possibly reduced labour.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Bow wrote:Hi,

I am looking for some help/assistance. I have a March 2009 1.4 tsi 160 that has done 40000 miles and is having some issues. The car engine management light came on a couple of weeks ago and the car started to misfire. Fault codes read that there was a misfire on cylinder three and as a result all Coil packs and sparks were changed. This sorted the issue temporarily but then it started again. I have had the car in to VW in the last few days and this has resulted in them needing to take the engine apart. They have now discovered that a number of pistons have broken and the cylinders have been damaged. It looks like the car is going to need a new engine and that's where it currently stands. the car had the ecu updated in 2011 (before i owned the car) and has been serviced at V until the last service which was only an oil change. Can anyone advise if they have had this issue and if so what was the outcome. As it stands I am not being offered any sort of help with the costs other than possibly reduced labour.
If you do a search across various VAG forums you will see that this is a relatively common issue with the 1.4 TSI twincharger engine of this era. Quite a few owners have had rebuild or engines replaced under warranty. I would fight and if necessary get VW UK involved, assuning you are in the UK.
salsajoe
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

Under the sale of goods act, provided the car has been serviced according to VW instructions and this can be proved and the car not used inappropriately or tuned then you should get a new engine or rebuilt one for free given that this is a common problem with early TSI engines. Sale of goods act lasts for 6 years and is completely separate to any warranty. Worth checking out. Best of luck.
lfcgeorge

Post by lfcgeorge »

Bow wrote:Hi,

I have the same problem
Tomorrow marks the 2 week stage that the car has been at dealers, have warranty on the vehicle (not with Volkswagen but with an English company through dealers). Dealers took engine apart and noticed piston damage and recommended engine replace to warranty company. Warranty company came out to inspect engine, found from report that deep scores are present at the top of the No2 bore. This has been the cause of the misfire. It is clear the piston had come into contact with the bore and this has led to partial seizure of the piston to the bore. Evidence indicates No2 piston has come into contact with the 3 cylinder bore and as a result the cylinder bore has become damaged. Corresponding area of the piston has also been damaged as a result of the contact. No3 cylinder bore exhibits some evidence of contact scoring but it is the No2 bore which exhibits most damage.

Closest possibility - Defective fuel injector causing too much fuel to be injected into the cylinder area and the piston ring lands which leads to partial pick up/partial seizure of the piston to cylinder bore.

Currently putting claim in to warranty. Have also emailed Volkswagen UK to see if they will do anything. 5 year old car with 50k