MDI Firmware Upgrade

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
martdy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

MDI Firmware Upgrade

Post by martdy »

Whilst surfing around the Mk6 Gti forum I came across a thread about the Ipod stuttering at start of track/track listing not changing problems .A kind sole put up this link to a firmware update for the MDI
http://www.my-gti.com/2491/volkswagen-m ... -kw22-2010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now,depending on type of ipod/iphone some people have had good results others little or no change.I personally (ipod classic 60gb) have noticed improvements but I do still get a stutter on track transitions but nowhere near as bad as before. I only updated yesterday so I'm still testing.
It's really easy to do; save the file to a usb stick . Connect the USB stick to the MDI (using the usb to MDI cable that came with the car) and then turn on the RCD/RNS510. The display will show SW update and about a minute later - all done .Remove the USB stick and cable and try your Ipod!
Hope it helps people :yes:
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
Atlantis
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Truffle Leather, Panoramic Sunroof, DAB, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Cruise Control, Tyre Pressure Indicator, Smoking Pack

Re: MDI Firmware Upgrade

Post by Atlantis »

Many thanks for this. After a little bit of testing (using a 60GB iPod classic too), my observations are:
1. The stutter when manually switching between tracks has gone, but...
2. The stutter when the head unit moves on from the end of one track to the start of the next is still there
3. When I view by Song, they are no longer in alphabetical order, they seem to be completely random. Although when I now pick from the Songs, it plays the right one (previously it would play something totally different to my selection)
Ibanez33
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Mats, Electric folding wing mirrors, parking sensors, Sil protectors, Philips Crystal vision bulbs.

Post by Ibanez33 »

Good find!

Thanks for this I'll try it out and report back.. :)
stuaz
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
Options: Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control.

Post by stuaz »

Does anyone else find that the Headunit doesn't always update with what song is playing? Like I will select one, then skip another, and it will stay on the one that I had before I skipped - this is with an iPhone 3GS.
Now a Proud Owner!
SeventySix
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Tints, cruise, sunroof, Interlagos, badge deletion, DAB & mats.

Ordered 14/4/10, built 26/5/10, collected 18/6/10 @ 1245 :D

Post by SeventySix »

stuaz wrote:Does anyone else find that the Headunit doesn't always update with what song is playing? Like I will select one, then skip another, and it will stay on the one that I had before I skipped - this is with an iPhone 3GS.
Me, sort of... using my 3GS, I've once saw the track display stay the same when the next song started (i.e. without hitting skip). I hit rewind, the track restarted and the display refreshed showing the correct details.
ashley1407
Options: Cruise Control, Metallic Paint, Fiscon Bluetooth, Bleep on locking.

Revo Remap.

Post by ashley1407 »

stuaz wrote:Does anyone else find that the Headunit doesn't always update with what song is playing? Like I will select one, then skip another, and it will stay on the one that I had before I skipped - this is with an iPhone 3GS.
I get this too, it's a well documented problem and as of yet, I do not believe there is a solution.
stuaz
Options: Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control.

Post by stuaz »

ashley1407 wrote:
I get this too, it's a well documented problem and as of yet, I do not believe there is a solution.
Yep ty Ash, realised that as I wrote it.
Now a Proud Owner!
scirocco11
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Anthracite Vienna Leather, DVD Navigation System, Cruise Control, Electrically Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors, Panoramic Sunroof, Smoking Pack, Premium Mats, Premium Sills, Alloy Pedals, Boot Liner, Front & Rear Mudflaps.

Post by scirocco11 »

Agree it is a known problem and don't know of any cure.
Mrk
Options: A few and a ROC reg

Post by Mrk »

This is great, thank you for posting about this.

I have updated my car, its very easy, and I will see if it cures the skipping problem. :D
Mrk :D
Atlantis
Options: Truffle Leather, Panoramic Sunroof, DAB, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Cruise Control, Tyre Pressure Indicator, Smoking Pack

Post by Atlantis »

The new firmware has caused a very annoying problem with my iPod. When I switch off the car, the MDI continues to send commands to my iPod, so it doesn't turn off. Which means its battery runs out overnight! Having to resort to unplugging the iPod from the MDI every evening!!
martdy
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

Sorry to hear that - Mine did that once after I updated so I took the Ipod out and charged it in the house reconnected next day - been in there ever since no probs. :shrug:
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
Mrk

Post by Mrk »

Well it still skips, but not as much, as it seems to change tracks quicker.

The annoying thing is that it has completely scrambled the 'songs' listing, they are not alphabetical anymore, but are now alphabetised in artist order - very bizzare.

*I have just checked my ipod as Atlantis has pointed out above, and mine is still on, displaying 'Media-In', I checked the battery and it too was drained.

SO how do I go back to my original firmware please?? It amazes me how they could release this so called update when basic things have not been checked! :grumpy:
AndyInGlasgow
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Xenons, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Mats, Flat Tyre Indicator.

Post by AndyInGlasgow »

I have the dreaded skip at start of songs and also if you force a change to a new song it doesn't always update the displayed track.

While we are all blaming the VW RCD/RNS510 firmware for this, I'm starting to wonder if it's bugs in the Apple firmware on ipods? Has anyone tried any other media devices which integrate fully with the RCD/RNS510 to see if these suffer likewise?
nd10

Post by nd10 »

AndyInGlasgow wrote:I have the dreaded skip at start of songs and also if you force a change to a new song it doesn't always update the displayed track.

While we are all blaming the VW RCD/RNS510 firmware for this, I'm starting to wonder if it's bugs in the Apple firmware on ipods? Has anyone tried any other media devices which integrate fully with the RCD/RNS510 to see if these suffer likewise?

I have had an i-pod, Sony mp3 player, SD card and all now on the HDD and so far all have worked perfectly. The only thing I haven't tried is a memory stick plugged into the usb.
alanstead
Options: Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Bi xenon, Electric folding mirrors, Cruise control, Winter pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mudflaps, Rubber mats, Boot liner, LED sidelights, Upgrade cornering bulbs, LED interior lighting, Upgrade DRL's, Premium sill trims, Alloy pedals, RNS510, Rearview camera, Bluetooth.

Post by alanstead »

In reply to Atlantis's problem with the ipod not switching off when the car is left overnight, my ipod went through a spell of doing this for no reason a while back. From the day I got the car the ipod had always been in it and as far as I knew it turned on when I got in, and went off when I got out, but then one morning it was flat as a pancake. I took it to the house and charged it and then put it back to the car and all was well, until about a week later when it was flat again. this happened completely randomly about 5 or 6 times in total, and touch wood, hasnt done this for about 4 months now. I have never updated my firmware or done anything different with any settings, it just seems to be a random glitch as you get with all software things. I did do a factory reset on the RCD510 one time and this seemed to help, but then its such a random problem, maybe it had nothing to do with it. I also had an occasional problem with the RCD not recognising the ipod for no reason too, again, I assume a software glitch. I would suggest trying the factory reset on the radio, its worth a try maybe.
Mrk

Post by Mrk »

Hi Alan

Thanks for that.

Will the reset delete all the radio and DAB stations?

On an update note since I installed the new firmware: the skipping is defineltey less than before, and it appears only when going from one album to another, ie on mix. If you are listening to the same album then there have been no skips. I have also noticed it changes tracks quicker.

My ipod does remain on though, but, more worrying is that is also remains on charge draining the car battery...
alanstead
Options: Dynaudio, Parking sensors, Bi xenon, Electric folding mirrors, Cruise control, Winter pack, Flat tyre indicator, Mudflaps, Rubber mats, Boot liner, LED sidelights, Upgrade cornering bulbs, LED interior lighting, Upgrade DRL's, Premium sill trims, Alloy pedals, RNS510, Rearview camera, Bluetooth.

Post by alanstead »

Hi, ye it deletes everything. sound settings, display, radio presets, the whole lot. only took me 2 minutes to reinstate it all though.
Mrk

Post by Mrk »

alanstead wrote:Hi, ye it deletes everything. sound settings, display, radio presets, the whole lot. only took me 2 minutes to reinstate it all though.
Thank you ;)
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

I have a cure.....I put all my tunes on a 32gb memory stick and that doesn't have the stutter, moves quicker between tracks etc ;-)
McStonnie
Options: 19" Lugano wheels, black Vienna leather, winter pack, foldable mirrors, parking sensors, cruise control

Post by McStonnie »

How much have we collectively spent on these cars, cars on which VW are keen to promote the technological advances, iPod integration, etc. And we're reduced to self-help to consider workaround options surfed randomly, or offering to each other that we should "hang-up and reboot"? This is appalling. Speaking as someonoe who picked their roc up less than 2 weeks ago, I've had consistent issues with my iPod connection. iPod Touch loses the plot, iPod Nano doesn't charge. Come on VW, it's not rocket science, sort it out!