HOW TO: Install Cruise Control for pre-Week 45/2009 Build

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
true
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: .
Heated Anthracite Leather
RNS-510 with 6 CD changer
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

HOW TO: Install Cruise Control for pre-Week 45/2009 Build

Post by true »

I finally managed to fit and activate my OEM Cruise Control stalk which I bought from the dealer for £50. I took some photos of the process but only remembered from the half way point onwards so they're actually in reverse order here. The whole process took me quite a while as I discovered I didn't have all the tools I needed plus a bit of trial and error for the activation. Plus a lot of head scratching while trying to get everything apart! If I were to do it again I reckon I could do the whole thing from start to finish in under 2 hours.

Tools required:
  • 10mm spanner
  • Large flat blade screwdriver
  • Very small flat blade screwdriver
  • T20 Torx/TX-Star bit screwdriver
  • T8 Torx/TX-Star bit screwdriver
  • 12mm XZN/Spline bit and wrench
  • Torque wrench
  • VAG-COM
Once the battery is disconnected the windows won’t drop slightly when the doors are opened which means they are difficult to shut - to avoid this, first making sure it’s not going to rain, wind the car windows down before doing anything else.

Remove both battery terminals and insulate them.

Removing the steering wheel:

With the key in the ignition to prevent the steering lock engaging, turn the wheel a quarter turn to the left. Either by dropping the steering column or by using a small mirror, find the slot on the back of the steering wheel and insert the large flatblade screwdriver:

There is a metal spring clip which needs to be released by inserting the screwdriver blade above the clip and levering it down:

It takes a bit of wiggling but once unclipped that side of the airbag should stand proud of the wheel slightly.

Turn the wheel 180 degrees the other way and repeat to unclip the other side of the airbag, so it is released fully. Take care not to let it drop away from the steering wheel as it is attached by two wires which could break.

Unclip the two wires attaching the airbag to the steering wheel and remove the airbag unit:

Return the steering wheel to the straight ahead position and remove the key. Using the 12mm spline drive and a wrench, undo the large bolt holding the steering wheel on:

The steering column should have a punch mark on it that lines up with a line on the steering wheel so you don’t need to mark its position:

If so, remove the steering wheel, otherwise mark it first. Make sure the slip ring in the centre isn’t rotated 360 degrees out of position.

Removing the steering column trim:

Pull the trim at the lower edge of the instrument cluster towards you with a sharp tug to unclip it. Lift the top half of the steering column trim upwards at the end closest to the steering wheel:

Once unclipped the trim should separate easily.

Undo the three T20 Torx screws attaching the bottom half of the steering column trim:

Release the steering column with the handle and remove the trim, being careful not to catch it on the ignition switch.

Replacing the indicator stalk with the new cruise control stalk:

Remove the single silver T8 Torx screw at the bottom of the slip ring assembly, and insert a thin flat blade screwdriver into the hole beneath the T8 screw. Use the screwdriver to release the plastic clip holding the module to the bottom of the steering column. Once released gently lower the module so the plugs for the slip ring and two stalks are disengaged:

Release the two clips at the top of the slip ring and remove the assembly:

Ensuring the plugs are removed from the module beneath the steering column insert one screwdriver into the slot on the left hand side next to the indicator stalk, roughly around the centre, to disengage one clip:

Use the second screwdriver to unclip the clip at the back side of the stalk assembly:

Once unclipped and unplugged slide the unit towards you to remove it.

Slide the new cruise control stalk into position engaging the rails on the right hand side:

Put it all back together:

Basically reverse the process! Replace the slip ring making sure the clips engage properly, plug the module beneath the steering column back into all three plugs and replace the T8 screw.

Screw the bottom piece of steering column trim back into place, and then clip the top part back together.

Put the steering wheel back on making sure to line it up with the punch mark and the slip ring.

Replace the steering wheel bolt, reapplying locktite if necessary. The bolt itself if designed to only be used 4 times so replace with a new one if required. From my research the bolt should be tightened to 50Nm, but this seems incredibly tight (not much force was required to undo the bolt) so I only tightened it to 35Nm, although this still felt very tight.

Plug the airbag back into the steering wheel and clip it back into place making sure both spring clips engage.

Reconnect the battery.

Shut the doors, turn the ignition on and wind the windows all the way up and down a couple of times.

You will probably have a couple of warning lights on the dash, and maybe an ‘airbag fault’ warning on the MFD. To clear the steering angle sensor fault (picure of a steering wheel), start the car and turn the steering wheel full lock to the left and hold for a second --> return to centre and hold for a second --> full lock right and hold for a second --> return to centre. The airbag fault can be cleared using VAG-COM.

Activating cruise control:

I used v805.4 of VAG-COM which at the time didn’t have all the label files for the Scirocco so I had to make a couple of guesses and leaps of faith but it all paid off in the end.

Connect VAG-COM and go to select a control module. Select 09-Engine. Select Coding – 07 and click Long Coding Helper. An error message might be displayed but click Ok. The long coding helper probably wont be any help at all as you’ll be missing the label file, but select Byte 6 (7th box along) and tick Bit 0. Close the long coding helper and click Do It! Hopefully, you’ll get a box that says Code Accepted.

Verifying cruise control works:

Turning cruise control on on the stalk doesn’t turn any lights on on the dash which may make you think it hasn’t worked. Go for a test drive and try to set a speed. Hopefully it will work! Take you’re feet off the pedals and enjoy.

* I also made a change to the 16-Steering wheel control module but I’m not sure if this was necessary. The cruise control didn’t work until I made the change to the Engine code anyway.
Last edited by true on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Re: HOW TO: Install Cruise Control

Post by Andy-GTI »

You definately need to change the steering wheel control module coding or it won't work.
arlurt
I drive a: R-Line
Options: Changes will be made...

Post by arlurt »

I've bought the stalk switch but haven't had a go yet.

Can you confirm the VAG-COM (VCDS) setting the need to be altered?

Did you have to enter a radio code having had the battery disconnected?

Thanks for the "How To"... :yes:
true
Options: .
Heated Anthracite Leather
RNS-510 with 6 CD changer
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

Post by true »

I'll confirm the VAG-COM coding and take some screenshots when I do the photos. I didn't need to do anything with the radio code :yes:
bm97ppc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Post by bm97ppc »

Hi,

I'm struggling with the Vagcom part of this, the physical fitting was fine. The airbag clips were a bit fiddly but otherwise fairly straight forward, largely down to the great how to guide (So many thanks).

Ok so I have a 2010 Scirocco with a newly fitted CC Stork and VCDS (Vagcom). I tried following the coding instructions (first time I’ve used it), and failed miserably.

First of all "Select 09-Engine" well on my screen Engine is labelled 01, am I in the wrong place?

Secondly it refers to 16-Steering wheel, what are the setting?

Thanks
tmeypaz
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by tmeypaz »

This detailed and well explained "how to" makes me want to go ahead and give it a try. :clap:

However, is it true that for my manual gear box I would need an additional module?
Something that has to do with the clutch pedal, maybe?
bm97ppc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by bm97ppc »

OK, I couldn't get the coding to work and it turn out Desiel Engine Coding instructions are diffrent (thank you for the help from Ross Tech on VWVortex forum)

The 140 2.0 TDi does not suport Long Coding to code Crusie Contol Select 01-Engine > Coding II > Enter 11463 and Comit.

You also need to select 16-Steering> Coding 07 > and change the 2nd from last digit to a 3.
shlim8
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160

Post by shlim8 »

Hi True,

I'm trying to install cruise control on my 1.4tsi roc as well....

The first glitch I ran into was buying the cc control stalk....

According to my local vw dealer, the correct cc control stalk is one with a part number ending with "B" but all they got in stock one ending with "A" (apparently the rest of the part numbers are the same) and they can't tell me the difference between the 2.

Can I check with you which control stalk did you use ?? Do you happen to have the part number ?

Also.... can anyone share - is there an vw online parts catalog with listing for the current scirocco ? All the ones I found so far don't have parts list for my car
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

Big thanks to True!

Fitted my Cruise Control Stalk tonight, having had it for months and done nothing with it. This was partly down to fear of airbags, and partly because I didn't know how good True's how-to guide was going to be.

The guide is spot on. The instructions on the hidden clips, and where to stick your small screwdriver to release them being absolutely invaluable. It only took me about an hour to remove the old stalk, fit the cruise control one, and put it all back together.

Unfortunately, though it's fitted, it's not working yet. I managed to code the Steering module easily enough, and this has cleared the "coding error" that the module was reporting. Also had the expected steering error, cleared with the lock-to-lock technique, and cleared the faults with VCDS. No errors have come up during or since the test drive, but the cruise isn't working.

This is obviously because I haven't made the coding change to the engine, I was hoping it would be set already. I have had a quick look at the coding, but there's nothing in my current or Beta versions of VCDS on what to set to code this for a 170 TDI DSG. Has anyone else managed to code a similar car? Any pointers greatfully received....
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

My cruise is working. :)

I was very nervous about blindly typing a code in without the long coding helper, or a bit of background info or support from somewhere. But as the same stuff seemed to come up on several of the VAG forums I had a little faith and gave it a go.

The post by bm97ppc above for the 140 TDI also works for my 2009.5 170 TDI.

Code accepted and checked out OK on a trip round the block. It works well, I like the neat display of selected cruise speed in the MFD.

I'll have to look for something else to play with now...
kenny.c
Options: MK7 GOLF GTI-PP

Post by kenny.c »

Great guide.......

Did this mod today.....took just over an hour....if it wasnt for getting the airbag off it would have been quicker....

Cannot really add anything other than a couple of extra pictures showing how the airbag attaches...which might help others. I also had to change coding in 2 controllers.....the engine and steering wheel.....

Worked perfect first time and I get a green light on dash and a bleep when setting the cruise...

Again top guide....couldnt have do it without...

Thanx
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zenekor
In: Opal Silver
Options: \◣__◢/

Post by zenekor »

Is there a way to know If steering wheel module will work with Cruise Control? One mate had to do swap from 1K0 953 549 to 1K0 953 549 A. But can You check this via VCDS without taking car parts apart? :?
kenny.c
Options: MK7 GOLF GTI-PP

Post by kenny.c »

Im pretty sure you can check.......if you do a Auto Scan that should tell you.
zenekor
In: Opal Silver
Options: \◣__◢/

Post by zenekor »

kenny.c wrote:Im pretty sure you can check.......if you do a Auto Scan that should tell you.
Yep, unfortunately my Steering Wheel module is 5K0 953 569 A and accordingly to Ross-Tech Wiki it can't be retrofitted with CC. Can anyone enrich HOW TO with Steering Wheel module swap :)
true wrote:I finally managed to fit and activate my OEM Cruise Control stalk
Would it be a big problem for You to post your Steering Wheel module PN and Cruise Control Switch/Lever PN with car's MF date. It would create solid point for parts purchase for others to begin with. 8)
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

this topic is generally regarding very early cars, this topic would probably be of more use if your car is more recent especially with potentially changing steering wheel modules

if you glance at true's member profile you will see they have not been online since 2010 so I don't think you are going to get any details, thats even assuming they still have their roc
Nhoughton96
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Pure White
Options: None

Re: HOW TO: Install Cruise Control for pre-Week 45/2009 Buil

Post by Nhoughton96 »

Hi there!

Extremely late to the party!

i have just brought a 59 plate 140 TDI and this is going to be the first job i do on the vehicle!

I have brought the single stalk and will be fitting it soon! Can anyone tell me why i can't see the images in this thread? or if anyone has a newer guide i can view?

Thanks again!!
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Nhoughton96 wrote:Hi there!

Extremely late to the party!

i have just brought a 59 plate 140 TDI and this is going to be the first job i do on the vehicle!

I have brought the single stalk and will be fitting it soon! Can anyone tell me why i can't see the images in this thread? or if anyone has a newer guide i can view?

Thanks again!!
Photos on this thread are displaying OK for me. Check settings just incase you have any filters in place preventing the images being displayed.
lucvan
In: Reflex Silver

Post by lucvan »

Sorry to bump an old thread.

Have just done this retrofit to my 58 plate (red MFD) and it all works fine. My question is, does the set speed come up on the MFD, or is this something I need to set in coding?
M5n0w
In: Indium Grey
Options: Sunroof

Post by M5n0w »

lucvan wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread.

Have just done this retrofit to my 58 plate (red MFD) and it all works fine. My question is, does the set speed come up on the MFD, or is this something I need to set in coding?

Did you have to code the steering wheel module and the engine or just the engine? Any further information you could provide would be great ☺
2008 2.0 tsi dsg red mfd
spacewalker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Urano Grey

Post by spacewalker »

SET speed on MFA is a returned message from ECU
If ECu support this , you will see,
if not - you will just see speed after SET
CCS via MFSW in 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ8cBbe ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;