Dash camera

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Blom73
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: 19"wheels , leather , dsg , reflex silver , sat-nav with video in motion , Bluetooth

Dash camera

Post by Blom73 »

Hi all , has anyone fitted a mobius dash camera ? Best way to wire the to glove box ?
KarmaSumatra

Re: Dash camera

Post by KarmaSumatra »

Yes, I have. My camera is to the left of the rear view mirror.

To run the USB cable I did the following:

Removed centre light.
Removed A pillar trim.
Pushed an unfolded wire coat hanger into the roof lining, from the centre light, towards the top of the A pillar (this took a few goes to get it to follow the right path).
Pulled a piece of string back with the hanger.
Used the string to pull the USB cable back.
Grabbed the roof lining just behind the rear view mirror wiring connection and pulled it down enough to poke the USB cable out (this needs a fair amount of force).
Replaced the centre light.
Taped the other end of the USB cable down the A pillar and dropped it into the fusebox area.
Replaced the A pillar trim.

This strategy is very similar to fitting the bluetooth microphone.

In the fuse box, I used a fuse tap and a 5v USB buck converter to connect the camera to the 12v accessory fuse. When I was researching this I found a post where someone claimed that the 12v accessory circuit doesn't go to 0v when the ignition is off, but instead sits at around 7v - I didn't find this to be true in my 2009 GT.
RocPaperScissors
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Night Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Facelift GT 184
Titan Black Alcantara/Cloth Upholstry
DCC
Reverse Camera
Folding Mirrors
Winter Pack
Cruise
Lisbon Alloys

Post by RocPaperScissors »

I also have done pretty much exactly as above in my facelift with the mobius, except it just ran it from the a pillar along the roof lining where it joins with the windscreen and poked it in with a bit of soft plastic and it comes out neatly hidden behind the rain sensor tubing. Take care when removing the a pillar, I murdered the little self distructing airbag cover and had to get a new one from the stealer for a few quid. The a pillar cover was also a right pain to get off for me, needed some serious force and remember the little clip in there.

I too have it hardwired with a step down module and add-a-fuse in one of the empty spots on the top row with a 3a fuse. Also no issues, I attacked mine with a multimeter to see which fuses came on when and their voltage, they all one I used is at 0 when the ignition is off. There are some that stay on, though.

Fantastic camera, great quality and tiny.
KarmaSumatra

Post by KarmaSumatra »

Interesting that you were able to push the cable into the gap between the lining and the glass. That's how I installed it on my previous car, but in my Scirocco the gap isn't big enough.
/////AMG
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White

Post by /////AMG »

I also did the same as RocPaperScissors on how I installed my Mobius. The roof lining and the glass wasn't that bad you just have to be very careful.

However I wanted the camera to also record while I was away from the car and it was off. So I've got an external battery which is what it is connected to. It will last about 3 days and it is in use for about 9-10 hours a day.

The down side with this bigger Anker battery is that it doesn't charge while it is in use (where with my older Anker lipstick type 3000mAh - it did).

So I do tend to charge the current battery back (Anker 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh) overnight every Wednesday.
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

I am definitely looking to install a dashcam, I have been thinking about this for quite a while now, there are far too many crazy, sloppy and dangerous drivers in the south-west! It's like they skipped driving school round here.
I'm finding it quite hard to visualise the steps listed by Engram, but i will figure it out (I wrote the bluetooth fitting guide, and they seem to be similar).

Is Mobius the best on the market? I wouldnt mind one that used rechargeable batteries to be honest.

Has anyone got some pictures of the thing installed?

Do you really have to remove the A pillar?!?! I am not a fan of removing that airbag clip, I almost destroyed it the last time!!
easyrider
Options: sensors, folding mirrors, cup spoiler, pano roof, cruise, 19s, leather, rns510, power seat, xenons, LED interior/exterior & puddle lights, vwr springs, fluffy driver's glovebox, aardvark

Post by easyrider »

just a thought - how about using a go pro with suction mount? mine sits clear of the wiper area and behind the rear view mirror neatly (plus i use the blackout housing so no lights are visible) - plus you get a go pro to play with, and you can stick it anywhere for rolling shots etc.
Victor's thread: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=17412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: @quietresonance
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

easyrider wrote:just a thought - how about using a go pro with suction mount? mine sits clear of the wiper area and behind the rear view mirror neatly (plus i use the blackout housing so no lights are visible) - plus you get a go pro to play with, and you can stick it anywhere for rolling shots etc.
That's an interesting solution as well, neater too!
I assume there are different goPro versions? Which one do you have installed, and can you post a picture of it fitted to your rear view mirror? just to get an idea
Jnorgate
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
Options: R-Line
Xenons
RNS 510
Dynaudio
Cruise
XDS
Black Leather
Black Lugano Alloys
Folding Mirrors
Colour Multifunctional Display
Carbon Wrapped Mirrors
Previously Owned GT 170

Post by Jnorgate »

I was thinking of installing the Cobra CDR 900 it looks quite neat and if I can get the wiring to be hidden I should hardly be able to see it.
Seem to be finding every idiot around driving with no brake lights plus the old man was smacked by a hit a run in his new A5 yesterday so I think it's worth getting one.

Regarding the GoPro does it have a time and date signature on the footage?
Blom73
In: Reflex Silver
Options: 19"wheels , leather , dsg , reflex silver , sat-nav with video in motion , Bluetooth

Post by Blom73 »

After looking on some other site , it seems that if you hard wire to your fuse board your warranty is void . Apparently vw Germany won't change there stance on it and neither will vw uk .
Rob
In: Salsa Red
Options: Scirocco's gone!

Post by Rob »

Just use an add-a-fuse
RocPaperScissors
DCC
Reverse Camera
Folding Mirrors
Winter Pack
Cruise
Lisbon Alloys

Yeah I'll just be removing my add-a-fuse when it goes in for any work, just to be sure. As long as you're not directly messing with the fuse box who's to know?

Do you have to turn the go pro on/off manually? Or will it on/off when charging?
AdaaamB
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue

Post by AdaaamB »

I use this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-HD-8GB-D ... 3a8f0bbcd4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it works perfectly. It turns off and on automatically and starts recording when you turn on your car. Easily can be removed and videos transferred via USB or Micro SD. When there's no space left on the card, it overwrites the oldest videos. It has a GSensor too with the option to auto lock videos so that they're not overwritten.

Sample video from mine:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tim4472
In: Candy White
Options: RNS510, Cruise Control, Xenon Headlights

Post by Tim4472 »

Hi all
Been following this post as I had my RoadHawk camera powered from the cigarette lighter and wanted a more permanent solution. Answer was a hard wire kit and a fuse tap and around an hour to fit to my satisfaction. Tucked the power cable along the top of the windscreen in the headlining and down the door pillar under the plastic trim but managed to feed it in by peeling back the rubber seal and then straight into the fuse box on the drivers side of the dash. Tapped into the 12V socket supply to get on and off with the ignition and all fitted. Got a few photos which may help if you are still considering fitting a camera.
IMG_1618.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1620.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Solosheep

Post by Solosheep »

I connected mine the same way as the above but the camera was always on :-(
Solosheep

Post by Solosheep »

Anyone can offer advice?
RocPaperScissors
DCC
Reverse Camera
Folding Mirrors
Winter Pack
Cruise
Lisbon Alloys

I used an empty slot top row (I think second from) left of the fuse box which is switched with ignition. I'll grab a photo tomorrow for you. If you can get a hold of a voltmeter it's pretty easy to find out.
Solosheep

Post by Solosheep »

That would be great thanks so much :)
RocPaperScissors
DCC
Reverse Camera
Folding Mirrors
Winter Pack
Cruise
Lisbon Alloys

Here you are. The add-a-fuse is in the top row 2nd from left. It was previously empty (facelift) and is switched. I have a 3a fuse in there and the small black box half hanging off where I knocked the tape is a 5V 3a step down module with two USB ports earthed to the chassis you can see top right wrapped in electrical tape.

From the drivers side, you can't actually see it sitting in the drivers seat.

And the passenger side. I do intend to tidy it up a bit, possibly using the 8 inch lens extension for the mobius and put the mobius out of sight, but for now it's fine.
Solosheep

Post by Solosheep »

Thanks so much for this. Helped so much I had one of the larger add a fuse which did not seem to work I should expect a small version to arrive soon.once it does I will follow this same set up :) :)