Saris Bones Bike Rack

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
silver130
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Saris Bones Bike Rack

Post by silver130 »

Afternoon
Can anyone confirm or deny if the Saris Bones 3 or 2 or the Solo will fit on a Scirocco.
I am not looking for a "yes, sort of" type of answer as i don,t want something that could end up scratching and making a mess of the tail gate.
Photo,s would be good too if anyone has any of it fitted to the car.
Any help appreciated, :yes: :yes: :yes:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
Trickytree
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Re: Saris Bones Bike Rack

Post by Trickytree »

I have a Saris Bones rack and it fits a treat. But note don't try and be clever and strap it to the exhaust mount like I did....... the nylon straps melt lol :)
paulsandy
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather, Satnav, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Mats.

Post by paulsandy »

Hi. I use a Saris Bones 3 and it fits like a treat. I did however replace the standard metal clip straps with those dumbell type things that go through the open boot and then pulls up aginst the inside of the car when the boot is closed.
I wouldn't fit it unless the car was spotless though. Those rubber feet will scratch if there is any dirt trapped under them.
Reflex Silver, DSG, Leather, Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Mats, Winter Pack
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

Thanks for the replys.
Looks like i could be purchasing one of these then in the near future. :D :D :D
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
ballyboy69
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Dynaudio Sound System, Metallic paint,

Post by ballyboy69 »

Hi guys, can you advise whether there is much strain on the back spoiler? It would appear that alot of the weights of the bikes are pulling down on the spoiler and its only made of plastic. I'll probably buy mine from Halfords, currently £98.00.

Cheers
rocknob
In: Rising Blue
Options: RCD-510 6 CD Changer

Post by rocknob »

By spoiler are you talking about the bit above the back window. That spoiler is metal....I have the same rack and I haven't had any issues and I put my downhill bike on it and that weights a ton.
Ex - Rising Blue 2.0 TSi.
Current - Tornado Red Golf 7 GTi
Crossbone
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
Options: Sports package with black alcantara leather seats, metal pedals, tinted rear windows, 18' Interlagos, multi-function steering wheel, rcd 510, 2 zone climatronic, armrest, premium mats, winter package, lights and mirrors package, aluminum foot rest, covered cup holder.

Post by Crossbone »

Can anyone post a picture of the car with the rack installed?
rocknob
Options: RCD-510 6 CD Changer

Post by rocknob »

Sorry got that wrong it is plastic.
Ex - Rising Blue 2.0 TSi.
Current - Tornado Red Golf 7 GTi
ballyboy69

Post by ballyboy69 »

silver130 wrote:Afternoon
Can anyone confirm or deny if the Saris Bones 3 or 2 or the Solo will fit on a Scirocco.
I am not looking for a "yes, sort of" type of answer as i don,t want something that could end up scratching and making a mess of the tail gate.
Photo,s would be good too if anyone has any of it fitted to the car.
Any help appreciated, :yes: :yes: :yes:
Watch this space. I will have photos of the bones 3 rack this coming weekend. Just need to clean the car first. Tried it out the other day and it appears to do the trick! Probably needs the cylinder plastic clips that look like mini dumbells as the clips provided may scratch the boot lip at the top and are a nightmare to get out. I've also managed to get a hold of some fancy grip material to place unde the rubber feet to prevent movement and prevent it scratching paintwork.
ballyboy69
ballyboy69

Saris Bones 3 Rack

Post by ballyboy69 »

Hi everyone. As promised I have uploaded some photos of my Saris bike rack. I took it out for an hours drive a really tested it! Gave the car a good clean first and changed the top hooks to smaller ones from my previosu bike rack to allow easy removal. The rack sits higher than expected but not much I can do about that as the rear of the car ain't big.

:nod: :worthless:

I'd like to know what you all think and whether it could be fitted any better. I'm planning to take or two bike around Europe with them for 3 weeks in Septemeber.

Cheers eveyone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stuaz
In: Deep Black
Options: Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control.

Re: Saris Bones 3 Rack

Post by stuaz »

Looks good, I would imagine that the Rubber pads - if they had any dirt underneath them could scratch etc, but as you said, you cleaned down the area first!

But yeah I like it.
Now a Proud Owner!
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

looks good ballyboy, i've shifted your post into the existing saris rack topic so people don't have to go hunting for the pics to go with the product.

also your profile says sumatra but your pics are pewter :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

S
stan_blade
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Front lux mats, rear rubber mats, Sat Nav, Pano roof, Auto Glym, GT st-wheel badge, Prem door sills, Boot liner, Metal Pedals.
23k miles and rising. Stone chips galore.

Post by stan_blade »

Picked up one of these from wiggle last week, but after a trial go of attaching to my car, I have decided to return it. I did run the bike rack in slightly different configuration to ballyboy. I tried with the top feet below the spoiler, but I think my concerns would have been the same as the load would still be taken on the top of the rear bumper. I also used the Hatch huggers, dumbbell accessory for the top strap attachment.

Main Reasons of concern:
1 - it didn't hold one of my rear suspension Mountain bike frames (specialized FSR XC). 2 road bikes fitted OK
2 - I think in time,it would mark where the rubber feet sit on the bumper. I have a white scirocco, other colours may be able to hide scratches.
3 - I feel the metal hooks on the end of the straps would dig into the boot lid after a few trips with 2-3 bikes on the back. The metal hooks are plastic coated but I believe would wear down in time.

Other than that, the carrier is a well designed piece of kit and very configurable, and if I'd still got an older car to throw this on I would most probably have kept it.
nd10

Post by nd10 »

I am looking at a bike rack and whilst more pricey, a roof one not only looks better but is specifically designed for the car too
Digital
Options: Panoramic sunroof, leather interior, cruise control

Post by Digital »

stan_blade wrote:Picked up one of these from wiggle last week, but after a trial go of attaching to my car, I have decided to return it. I did run the bike rack in slightly different configuration to ballyboy. I tried with the top feet below the spoiler, but I think my concerns would have been the same as the load would still be taken on the top of the rear bumper. I also used the Hatch huggers, dumbbell accessory for the top strap attachment.

Main Reasons of concern:
1 - it didn't hold one of my rear suspension Mountain bike frames (specialized FSR XC). 2 road bikes fitted OK
2 - I think in time,it would mark where the rubber feet sit on the bumper. I have a white scirocco, other colours may be able to hide scratches.
3 - I feel the metal hooks on the end of the straps would dig into the boot lid after a few trips with 2-3 bikes on the back. The metal hooks are plastic coated but I believe would wear down in time.

Other than that, the carrier is a well designed piece of kit and very configurable, and if I'd still got an older car to throw this on I would most probably have kept it.
Interesting! Had been considering a back rack for my car, but now definitely leaning towards a roof carrier. I've also got a Specialized FSR XC and had problems getting it to fit properly with a previous rack on my Honda Civic, don't want to go through all that hassle again.
ianpointon

Post by ianpointon »

Impressive, I tried one recently at the bike shop and didn't think to put the feet on top of the spoiler so I might give it another try.
What are the bottom straps attached to? Shouldn't they be attached to the bottom of the boot?
richroc
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather, sat nav, parking sensors, Ipod, Black VW badges bonnet & boot, silver A pieces, silver gear gaiter surround, silver rear seat headrest trims, Focal speakers, alloy pedals, golf-ball type gear knob.

Post by richroc »

That's weird - I've been using a Saris Bones 3 on my Roc for 18 months now and it never ocurred to me once that you'd want to put the top pair of feet on top of the spoiler - mine rest against the top of the rear windscreen (like most other bike racks do). This is easily acheived by reducing the angle between the pairs of legs.

The benefit of having the legs at this lower angle are that:
1. the bike sits much lower down thereby reducing drag and the resulting stress and strain on your rack and mounting points on the car
2. the bike (and most importantly the pedals) sit much further away from the paintwork.
3. On your picture the side straps in your set-up are pulling upwards against the tailgate. Lower the bike and these straps will be more horizontal/perpendicular to the tailgate edge which has got to be good from a stress point of view.

Horses for courses though and if you like it like that GO FOR IT !!
twads
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather, custom grey & red mats, reverse parking sensors, fufu and caffufle value

Post by twads »

Just quickly tried a Saris Solo on back of the sky rocket and not HP. Can strap peddle up to stop it turning but the brake disk on the front wheel is very cose to the bodywork bit of movement and likely to scratch the paint :shrug: Anyone else got a solo and have you mounted it in a different position (you dirty beast)

Other option is maybe the Saris Bones for 2 or 3 bikes do they keep the bike further away from the car?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twads
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Salsa Red
Options: Leather, custom grey & red mats, reverse parking sensors, fufu and caffufle value

Post by twads »

Ever feel like your talking to yourself Twads? Yes Twads often :D

Saris Bones 3 far better fit, more sturdy very little flex and if put bike in middle carrier it sits miles away from the bodywork. Also it has a strap to hold the downtube in place to stop bike swaying which is a nice touch. No issues getting clips in place or back out again, think if careful shouldnt scratch. Reduced at moment at Evans so not a lot more for a Bones 3 compared to Bones 2.
JG400
In: Viper Green
Options: Bluetooth, Mats, Digital Radio

Post by JG400 »

Just fitted a set of Green bones 3 on my Roc , worked fine no issues , I fitted following the images above (twads) except that I place the top straps inside the hinges rather than outside seemed a more natural fit, the one bit that was reassuring is that the top strap hooks are quite fiddly to remove so they shouldn't come out by accident