1.4 TSi 160bhp - magnetic coupling problem

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

1.4 TSi 160bhp - magnetic coupling problem

Post by skyblues11 »

hello to all the drivers of this engine.

has there been any news or updates relating to the squeaking noise, coming from this waterpump related problem?

I have been reading the old threads and recall Deacon had this problem back in 09. Mine has passed the 2k miles mark and the squeaking has started.

the conclusion was that there is nothing VW could do ( or willing to do).

its not too bad with the window shut, but left alone, will it cause any longlasting damages?
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: 1.4 TSi 160bhp - magnetic coupling problem

Post by trix »

There are still no fixes on this problem skyblues, Germany are looking into development of a fix but the last I heard the latest potential fix developed the same problem so you just need to sit tight for now.

I've found in mine that the squeek is not always there but when it is its at the same number of revs. its quite a good exercise for getting to know your engine, change gear at different times so you know where & where not your squeek is & get to know it :yes: (also you can always just turn the radio up louder ;) )

S
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

skyblues11 wrote:the conclusion was that there is nothing VW could do ( or willing to do).
its not too bad with the window shut, but left alone, will it cause any longlasting damages?
No long term damages according to VW. Just an annoying squeak. This is what has surfaced from VW in the maintenance.......
".....explain to the customer that this noise is normal and that no damage to the solenoid clutch will occur after the warranty period." (from the VW Technical Service Handbook)

The modified pump/clutch units are starting to squeak even earlier, as some of the post factory introduced mod of the pump/clutch unit are showing. The revised pump was supposed to be introduced with Wk45 builds, introduction was delayed until about Wk03 due to problems with the inital revised batch.

The revised pump/clutch unit can start as low as 300 miles typically, rather than the 1,500 - 2,500 mile point.

If you do change it for the new one, reports suggest it squeaks even louder as well as appearing earlier.

Also some reports suggest with the original units, it will eventually goes away once past the 10,000 - 12,000 mile point. But none of this is absolutely consistent. It depends on your driving habits, how long to it starting and hopefully going away.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
skyblues11
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

oh no! another 12k to go....

thanks everyone, and now i feel a little calmer. to be fair, its not too bad. i was worried about the potential damage.

i just pretend i have a cosworth R500 engine whistling and blowing flame like those australian TT race cars.

mine was built around december time, so not sure where does it falls into interms of build week. My dealer did not tell me much, one min. it was nothing, then suddenly it was being built...

by the way people, do you all remember that VW advert featuring an old guy in a US gas station? He was alone against a Nevada desert backdrop and evrything was squeeking, including the sign. He had a jug of oil with him.

maybe VW is delibrately leaving us with a marketing message!
Gary_Monkey
In: Rising Blue
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Post by Gary_Monkey »

And there was me thinking that whistle-dump-valve sound was coming from my supercharger as it spun down. Doh
I'll live with it. It doesn't really bother me at all.

Gary
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
pat15312
With a: Manual box
Options: Gloss black 19" RS4s; GT Spec; Leather; RNS510 & Dynaudio; rSAP; Alloy pedals & sills; Gloss black plastics; Revo Select+; H&R 35mm springs & 10mm spacers; Forge FMIC, Intake, BOV, Quickshift; Milltek T/back, Sports cat & Downpipe.

Post by pat15312 »

I don't have this problem, never have had either...
Only sound I get that could be interpretted as a squeek I get is when u floor it between 2k and 3k rpm, and that is the supercharger coming in.
Good luck guys!
222bhp & 340Nm
thelefth
In: Deep Black
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Sports Package, Interlagos, Bluetooth, RCD510, Xenon Lights, Mirror Package, Cruise Control, Alarm

Post by thelefth »

Hey guys...had the same problem when i got my car at almost 2000km....it went for a long time but if you try to be a bit smoother on the pedal you will see it fading away after a while...i dont mean drive at lower speed...just dont step on the pedal very rapidly after change of gear. Do this for a few thousands....change gear and smoothly put pressure on the pedal and it will go away. I think the ECU unit of the car learns to delay the timing of supercharge and turbocharge coupling depending on the driving style and the way you step on the pedal. so if you want to drive fast just press the pedal after a few cm's of normal press...give the unit time to switch supercharger and turboccharger the one after the other...not both at the same time. even if not the case...i think the sqeak eventually goes away.
simon090365
In: Night Blue
Options: none

Post by simon090365 »

Hi, I have a Scirocco 1.4 tsi 160 dsg box 2011 had it two weeks mine has a squeak. It developed after two weeks it's in the dealers now the say it's the water pump? And it's coupled to the supercharger. Which is being removed now. As soon as I find out more from the dealers I will let you know,
Simon
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

simon090365 wrote:now the say it's the water pump? And it's coupled to the supercharger. Which is being removed now.
The Supercharger clutch is an integral part of the water pump unit. No separate part for the clutch itself.

They may change it out but invariably the replacement will do the same down the line. Some people have had 3 or 4 fitted including the modified versions. The squeak returns.

You have to go through the "it is a pain" barrier and come out the other side with the clutch mechanism bedded it. Mine started right on cue at 2,300 miles. (As I wrote above the modified ones start chirping earlier) The chirp had gone by 7,000 miles - early!

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Gary_Monkey
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car built Build Week 43.

Post by Gary_Monkey »

Hi RW1,

My 'squeak' is still going strong at 13,000 miles. Should I worry? When will mine 'bed-in'?

Gaz
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Gaz,

I can't even induce mine to happen anymore.
One thought on duration to it ceasing. I drive a lot on the supercharger clutch operating rpm range and frequently get it to engage. ie. a lot of stop-start and in the range 1,500 - 3,000 rpm. I rarely use the engine above this due to urban traffic. But some others on more open roads have also lost their pet rodent early. So its not predictable.

It won't mechanically fail as far as I know. The squeak is is just undesirable. Its caused by a natural resonance in the design.

If you take it in, its warranty covered, ref: TPI-2012623/17. As before, VW haven't solved it and it seems you have a good chance of it returning after a few thousand miles again with a new water pump unit. Not picked up any further mods being made available since 12 months ago.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
skyblues11
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

mine seems to have disappeared, or appear occasionally. i am in about 12k miles.

with the music on its hard to tell, but definitely less noticable than before
Gary_Monkey

Car built Build Week 43.

Post by Gary_Monkey »

Mine seems to be worst when dropping in speed to around 35-50 and then hit the accelerator quite hard (but not kick-down). Then I get the full rodent squeal. As Skyblues11 says.. when I've got my tunes on I can barely hear it. However, without tunes on and the window down it really is a bit embarrassing sometimes.

Thanks for the mechanical reasurance Chris. Good to know the part isn't disintegrating! Knowlegeable as ever :-)

Gaz
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Mine disapeared around the 10-12k mark but like rw1 i also do quite a bit of round town driving
playing in my '86
insanojackson
Options: leather - black
Navigation

Post by insanojackson »

mine was sorted under warranty about 6-8 weeks ago, whilst they fixed an abs problem, squeak has gone
the_winner
Options: Sport and Style Package ,Parktronic Sensors, Alarm

Post by the_winner »

I think that i have the same problem .
MY2012 , 13.500km . I hear a sound at 1900-2200rpm like rusted bearing .
RW1 which is the latest part no of the watter pump for the CAVD ?
I think that if my scirocco is MY2012 it has the latest part no of the watter pump?
I am in dilemma to go to the dealer to change it or i have the latest water pump so the new will be the same so i will have again the sound ?
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

You already have the latest fitted.... 03C 121 004J as it was introduced at MY2012 production start. The replacement will be 03C 121 004JX where "X" indicates a money surcharge for the return of the old part to the Parts Department. Still the same part. Does not apply in your case if still under warranty.

It should go away. Mine started at 3,700Km and I quite missed it as it disappeared at 12,000Km. As you say, repair has a risk it will return with the new part. Not heard it happen in the last 2 years since dying.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
the_winner

Post by the_winner »

thanks for the fast reply !
Yes i check it with my vin i have the 03C 121 004J water pump.
With D in the DSG at hill driving i can hear all the time the annoying sound when i accelerate and i am at the range of 1900-2100rpm
I am under warranty so they will not fit ''X'' parts i think .
I found the TPI 2012623/17 but is old (2010) and it said to change the water pump with the new one 03C 121 004J which i have already . So VW didn't solve the problem at all because the latest part again has problem .

Which is your advice? To leave it and maybe it disappear or to go to the dealer?

John
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

The RPM range is not a match. The clutch can make the chirp noise anywhere between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm even where just cruising when the engine needs to engage the Supercharger, such as going from level to climbing a gradient without accelerating.

You may have another problem. Quite what :shrug: If you hold the RPM steady where you hear it, does it continue to make the sound or cease?

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
the_winner

Post by the_winner »

RW1 wrote:The RPM range is not a match. The clutch can make the chirp noise anywhere between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm even where just cruising when the engine needs to engage the Supercharger, such as going from level to climbing a gradient without accelerating.

You may have another problem. Quite what :shrug: If you hold the RPM steady where you hear it, does it continue to make the sound or cease?

C.
Νο the sound stops if i hold the rpms at the range where i hear the sound .I Can hear the noise when i am under 1800rpm and press the accelerator , DSG doesn't shift down and the engine must load up with high gear so when it goes to 1900-2000 rpm i hear the sound .

I can hear when i parking the engage of the clutch its a clack! Here is my video which i record the engage of the compressor clutch . I thought that this is normal because i can hear it from the early months when the rocco was new
Is that normal or not?
[youtube]0V0lg2WhCGQ[/youtube]

And hear is my video which i am trying to record my annoying noise
Its difficult through the video but stay focus from 0:08 to 0:14 its like a rust bearing which is turning like crazy and it goes to stop .You can hear it at 0:09 and 0:13
[youtube]NP1NVhHhyEc[/youtube]

I found this video with the problem at the magnetic clutch but it doesnt much with my noise .. Mine is like a fan which is going to stop (with rust bearing)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;