SD or not to SDHC?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
rehmondo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

SD or not to SDHC?

Post by rehmondo »

Looking into SD cards a lot more now, been using a 256MB card just enough for two albums, so searching for what could be compatible.
breeza wrote:I am pretty sure that SDHC cards upto 32GB can be used in the SD slot of the standard RCD510 but not the RNS sat nav version.
Quote taken from here.

Could someone help clarify if SDHC cards work and if so what capacities have been tested as this is what I've managed to grasp from the manuals....

RNS-510 Manual page 23…
  • Requirements for the memory card
    The memory card slot accepts memory cards with a size of 32 mm x 24 mm x 2.1 mm or 1.4 mm.

The unit can read SD memory cards (“Secured Digital Memory Cards”) and MMC memory cards (“Multimedia Cards”) with a capacity of up to 2 GB.

Other memory cards that fit the slot physically such as SDHC cards ("secure Digital High-Capacity Memory Cards"), cannot be read.
RCD-510 Manual page 27…
  • The memory card slot accepts memory cards with a size of 32 mm x 24 mm x 2.1 mm or 1.4 mm.

The unit can read SD memory cards (“Secured Digital Memory Cards”) and MMC memory cards (“Multimedia Cards”) with a capacity of up to 2 GB. The unit does not support other memory cards that fit the slot physically, such as SDHC cards (Secure Digital High-Capacity Memory).

The unit also supports SDHC memory cards (Secure Digital High-Capacity Memory Cards) with a capacity of up to 32 gigabytes.
So it appears the standard unit supports SDHC and the Sat Nav unit doesn't however the last line contradicts what’s said in the last line of the 2nd paragraph of the RCD-510 requirements - I'm left a little confused but still believe SDHC is compatible with the RCD-510 (standard version).

Someone @ VW obviously did a cut and paste job for the RCD-510 Manual without checking what was actually being said in the RNS-510 Manual.
shooms
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Pano sunroof, Dynaudio, premium sills, metal pedals & alu gear-knob.

Re: SD or not to SDHC?

Post by shooms »

Why not get a 24GB USB stick ?
shooms

Post by shooms »

In fact... this is a question I've been thinking about...

Do USN sticks read sub directories or only the root ?

Also do they pick up from the track playing when the car is switched off ?

I listen to mixes in the main rather than individual tunes so I hope it picks up from where it stopped as it's a pain to fast forward to the point you stopped mid way through a 90 minute mix...
Midlife
In: Shadow Blue
Options: rear parking sensor

Post by Midlife »

Hi
I'm no expert on this stuff, but I had an old Portable HArd drive kicking around and took it outs of its case dropped all my CD's on to it (and the wife's) and connected it to the USB cable and poked it in the middle consol - works a treat and it is quicker than the Ipod to find tracks and it picks up from where it left off.
Midlife
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

Midlife wrote:I had an old Portable HArd drive kicking around - works a treat and it is quicker than the Ipod to find tracks and it picks up from where it left off.
I had a portable 250GB WD Passport drive, that worked however it never carried on from where I last left it, it would always return to the top level - plus it often didn't work on start up so I'd have to unplug and plug the mini USB cable in to the HDD drive which is really annoying once you've started your journey - but I think it was a general problem with those WD HDD's as I could only use the 3cm cable they provided!

Then I got an iPod nano which works great and I continue to use it, but over the holidays when I wasn't at work I found when going out all the time I had to charge my iPhone, which I did using the iPod cable in the car - however as a result there was no music - don't want to start burning CD's again, so going to investigate the SDHC 32GB option as all of my music collection will fit on it and I can simply drag and drop without faffing about with iTunes.

I hope to find out tomorrow regarding the SDHC option, was hoping someone had tried it before I go out and buy one.
nidge
In: Deep Black
Options: leather

Post by nidge »

Has anyone used the bluetooth interface for music? I havnt received my car as yet but during test drive i was shown a bluetooth / music connection. As i have quite a lot of music stored on my blackberry it would save me messing around with wires. cheers
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

Using a 16GB USB Key connected to the MDI, works a treat.
Last edited by jonallen628 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
custardmonkey
Options: DAB, Dynaudio, Elec mirrors (w/ mirror down!!), mats, Parking sensors, flat tyre indicator

Post by custardmonkey »

Sorry to revive an old thread...

Has anyone used a 16 or 32 Gb SDHC card in the RCD-510 (standard or Dynaudio upgraded) yet? It's my b'day in a few days and was planning to ask someone to get me one of these. Having read about the discrepancies in the manual (and the fact my car's not arriving until the end of next month :roll: ) I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting their money (which could be better spent on more polish for the beauty :vibes: )

Matt :bunny:
2.0 TSi GT DSG, Rising Blue, Dynaudio, DAB, Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors, Flat tyre indicator, Mats
JaseW
Options: Vienna Leather, Nav, Parking, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Premium Sills & Mats, Alloy Pedals, GT Wheel Badge, Piano Inserts, de-badge, Full Milltek inc sports cat, Forge DV, Forge Twintercooler, Forge Uprated Pipes, H&R 35mm drop, RS-Tuning Custom map (286bhp)

Post by JaseW »

I tried an 8Gb SDHC last week and that didn't work.
I luv Roc!
jntaras
In: Viper Green
Options: xenons,rcd 510 dynaudio,park pilot,interlagos 18'',tyre pressure indicator

Post by jntaras »

Maybe if you tried to make many folders?
rehmondo

Post by rehmondo »

In the end I bought an 8GB SDHC from eBay and that works fine for me, takes at least a minute to initialise due to the space being used up, but once it has been initialised it will start immediately every time - only initialises when you insert the card after adding/removing data.

The reason why I didn't buy a 32GB as I didn't justify the current prices, 8GB will do for now, was only £10, will probably buy a 32GB when the price is closer to £20-£30. Plus since no one really answered my original question I didn't want to spend £50+ on a 32GB card only to find that it doesn't work, so I thought I'll try a cheaper SDHC first.
shooms

Post by shooms »

Rehmondo... does the tune start from the same place when you stop it (ignition turned off) please ?

Also is it possible to fast forward thru a track as well as skipping a track using the wheel buttons ?

Lastly can you create sub folders & navigate those or do you have to copy all to a root directory.

Sorry for the daft questions but not got my roc yet but keen to know about the audio :)
rehmondo

Post by rehmondo »

shooms wrote:Rehmondo... does the tune start from the same place when you stop it (ignition turned off) please ? Yes from the exact same second, providing you have not removed the card and added/deleted tracks.

Also is it possible to fast forward thru a track as well as skipping a track using the wheel buttons ? Yes

Lastly can you create sub folders & navigate those or do you have to copy all to a root directory. Yes - but to navigate the sub folders you must use the console - same when using iPod, HDD, USB stick etc

Sorry for the daft questions but not got my roc yet but keen to know about the audio :) No problem mate
shooms

Post by shooms »

Thanks mate :D :clap:
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

Right !!
It's my turn to hi jack the thread.
Can anyone tell me why when using a usb stick that when trying to fast forward through a track either by multi function wheel controls or main unit (RCD510) it jumps in phases but when using an sd card it glides through just like a cd would.
Is it because the usb is formatted wrongly ?
Also i have noticed that now the sd card has quite a bit stored on it . It takes quite a while to initialise before playing.
Again is this because i have built a new folder and sub menu's for each artist/group
Sorry to sound like a numbty but if you don't ask these stupid questions......
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
jonallen628
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

Have we answered our question then?

An 8GB SDHC card did not work for JASEW (RNS510 NAV) but did work for REHMONDO (RCD510 None Nav)?

custardmonkey
Options: DAB, Dynaudio, Elec mirrors (w/ mirror down!!), mats, Parking sensors, flat tyre indicator

Post by custardmonkey »

Awesome :yes: , seems worth the risk.

I'll get my hands on a large SDHC card and will report how it functions (when the beast arrives in about a month :banana: ).

Thanks a lot for the advice :clap:
2.0 TSi GT DSG, Rising Blue, Dynaudio, DAB, Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensors, Flat tyre indicator, Mats
jonallen628

Post by jonallen628 »

[quote="silver130"] Is it because the usb is formatted wrongly ? [quote]

I think the only format that is compatible with the head unit is FAT32. If your drive was in any other format such NTFS i don't think it would be recognised by the head unit.

I have just checked how my USB Key functions which is FAT32, when fast forwarding a track using the head unit or steering wheel buttons the tracks skips at 20 second intervals. Doesn't really cause me a problem but interesting to hear how an SD card functions differently.

JaseW
Options: Vienna Leather, Nav, Parking, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Premium Sills & Mats, Alloy Pedals, GT Wheel Badge, Piano Inserts, de-badge, Full Milltek inc sports cat, Forge DV, Forge Twintercooler, Forge Uprated Pipes, H&R 35mm drop, RS-Tuning Custom map (286bhp)

Post by JaseW »

The SDHC card was formatted as FAT32. I'll format it again and test it to make sure.. jus tin case it was a gremlin
I luv Roc!
breeza

Post by breeza »

JaseW wrote:The SDHC card was formatted as FAT32. I'll format it again and test it to make sure.. jus tin case it was a gremlin
The Satnav RCD unit only accepts SD cards and not SDHC but the later RCD510 units accept SDHC cards.