Car finally arrived, but it this normal?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
jc74
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Car finally arrived, but it this normal?

Post by jc74 »

Hurray, the car finally arrived today, and I've done a quick 5 miles in it (will have to wait for the weekend to get a good run).
Anyway, I've noticed a few things, which I was wondering whether people had any pearls of wisdom on...

1> I didn't get the DVD for the Satnav. The salesperson said that was normal since it is not needed but would check. Is that really the case?? I've not seen any documentation to say a DVD should be included, though a few people on the forum seem to think it should be...
2> The rear parking sensors do not show up anything visual on the RNS510 Satnav display. The brochure doesn't mention optical parking as an option, though the manual does suggest that. Do I have a leg to stand on?
3> The leather seats - I'm about 5'9ish and I like my seat low normally (at the lowest setting in my previous cars). However when I set the seat to the lowest position. I either have my legs scrunched up ie unable to stretch out, or my arms have to stretch to reach the dteering wheel! - I've pulled the steering wheel to it's furthest out position which helps, but then I can't reach the radio buttons easily!!! Is it just me, or do other people have problems with the seat adjustment? - I'll give it another go later on tonight...
4> DSG - When you override the D mode with the buttons, it changes gear as you wish, but does this then default back to D mode at anytime?

I'll post some pictures soon, when I take some decent ones.

I love the sound the engine makes when you even twitch the accelerator a little :D
sir_rocco
In: Reflex Silver

Re: Car finally arrived, but it this normal?

Post by sir_rocco »

1 yes you should the the DVD
2, RNS should display the rear parking sensor image, its a fault if it does not.
3. i am 5' 8", have my seat fully lowered and am comfortable.
4. DSg will be overidden by the paddles but reverts back to d mode either after 30 seconds of no more paddle input or if you press and hold the right hand paddle for 3 seconds it will go back to D mode.

Hope that helps mate. :yes:
Taken delivery : Silver, DSG, NAV, Black Leather, Park Sensors, Winter pack.

Mods: Full Milltek, KW lowering springs,Wheel Spacers, Remapped to 258BHP, 405Nm
rehmondo
In: Candy White
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

sir_rocco wrote:2, RNS should display the rear parking sensor image, its a fault if it does not. - Unless it's been retro fitted :no:
4. or if you press and hold the right hand paddle for 3 seconds it will go back to D mode. - you learn something new everyday, cheers sir-rocco :yes:
jc74

Post by jc74 »

rehmondo wrote:
sir_rocco wrote:2, RNS should display the rear parking sensor image, its a fault if it does not. - Unless it's been retro fitted :no:
4. or if you press and hold the right hand paddle for 3 seconds it will go back to D mode. - you learn something new everyday, cheers sir-rocco :yes:
Thanks for the replies. Just found a leaflet with the manuals etc which says: "Steelmate Automative, Parking Assist System". Sounds like it's been retro fitted!
I've checked the invoice, which says "Parking Sensors" as an item, along with DVD Nav etc in a separate section from things like Metallic Paint, Cruise and Sunroof. However it doesn't specifically say factory fit extra. Do you think I have any leg to stand on legally? - I've guessing the dealer will be very unwilling to swap the car for a new one!
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

If I was in your position I'd be ready to hand the car back unless they gave a huge discount - forget free Xenons I'd ask for more!
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

Was your car a fresh factory ordered car? If this is the case it sounds like they missed the parking sensors off your order when it was transferred into the VW Dialog ordering system from the paper copy of the order. They would have spotted this during the PDI check, panicked and got them retrofitted?

Or

Did they find you a car with a quicker delivery time and add the retro fit parking sensors?

If either of these rings true then you won't get the optical parking sensor display on the head unit.

From your comments it looks as though one of the above scenarios has happened. :no:
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

jc74 wrote:2> The rear parking sensors do not show up anything visual on the RNS510 Satnav display.
You should get this
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 595#p10595
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 720#p10720
jc74

Post by jc74 »

jonallen628 wrote:Was your car a fresh factory ordered car? If this is the case it sounds like they missed the parking sensors off your order when it was transferred into the VW Dialog ordering system from the paper copy of the order. They would have spotted this during the PDI check, panicked and got them retrofitted?

Or

Did they find you a car with a quicker delivery time and add the retro fit parking sensors?

If either of these rings true then you won't get the optical parking sensor display on the head unit.

From your comments it looks as though one of the above scenarios has happened. :no:
They got me a car in stock which they claimed matched up to the options I wanted. I ordered about 10 days ago. After 2 days they phoned to say it had a sunroof, which I didn't want, so I agreed to take it for £440 extra.
I did get about 9% discount off list price in exchange for quick delivery, so it's almost certain that the sensors have been retrofitted. They didn't mention anything about retrofitted parking sensors though.
The question is whether I've the right to complain. I asked for parking sensors, I got parking sensors, just not visual parking sensors (which I must admit I didn't explicity state at the time)...
Just been out on a 50 mile run, must say overall still a great car :D
However noticed more things (again I iterate it's still a great car!).
1> RNS510 crashed whilst I was pressing lots of buttons etc, it rebooted, but still a bit concerning!
2> As mentioned on another thread, the climate control temp is blue! - WTF! Did they pick a blind man to colour co-ordinate the interior?? Not really bad but a very silly design flaw!
3> Doesn't have a 12V in the arm rest like my old beemer did for my phone charger (I know I was a bit spoilt!)
4> Nowhere to put things in the boot so it doesn't fly everwhere when you corner hard (old car did), maybe I'll drive slower :D
5> The RNS510 doesn't seem to recognise MP3s in play lists, in fact I can't seem to get it to list all the play lists on my USB stick so I can play songs in a sequence I want. (Again old car with iDrive did this well).
6> The RNS510 touch screen can sometimes not be very responsive, especially scrolling through lists. Probably spoilt with the iPod touch's responses!
7> Oh, and I've got a USB cable, but no iPod cable, is this normal?
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

jc74 wrote:3> Doesn't have a 12V in the arm rest like my old beemer did for my phone charger (I know I was a bit spoilt!)
If it doesn't have the smokers pack that should be in the cubby hole in front of the gearstick.
jc74 wrote:7> Oh, and I've got a USB cable, but no iPod cable, is this normal?
No. You should have 2 cables for the armrest connection. One with USB on the end and one with an ipod connector. It's free.

tbh, I'd reject the car. It's not the spec you wanted and the parking sensors are 3rd party.
jc74

Post by jc74 »

Kev wrote:
jc74 wrote:3> Doesn't have a 12V in the arm rest like my old beemer did for my phone charger (I know I was a bit spoilt!)
If it doesn't have the smokers pack that should be in the cubby hole in front of the gearstick.
jc74 wrote:7> Oh, and I've got a USB cable, but no iPod cable, is this normal?
No. You should have 2 cables for the armrest connection. One with USB on the end and one with an ipod connector. It's free.

tbh, I'd reject the car. It's not the spec you wanted and the parking sensors are 3rd party.
Can I do that after I've already eaten the free chocolates and opened the umbrella they gave me? :shrug:

Thanks, I've seen the 12V socket in the front cubby hole, it's just that I was hoping to keep my bluetooth handsfree charged up and out of side under the arm rest. I'm very tempted to try to find some cover for that cubby hole, since it'd be nice to store stuff out of sight.

I'll have a word with the dealer in the next couple of days and see what they are prepared to do. Surely it can't be that difficult for them to hook the parking sensors up to the radio?? Though to be honest it's annoying but not a dealbreaker for me, but I could reasonably try and get my money back on the sensors or get 1st service thrown in for free?
I'm more concerned to get my satnav dvd.
Also noticed that they fitted my GB plates with yellow screw covers over the blue section (on the left side), front and back plates! Looked ridiculous, and a bit sloppy. I have taken them off and sprayed them blue this evening (had to do it for a car previously so have spare blue spraypaint!)
robrob
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

Kev wrote: tbh, I'd reject the car. It's not the spec you wanted and the parking sensors are 3rd party.
I very much doubt he/she can.
As jc74 mentioned, he was told the car had parking sensors, he was never told they would be factory fitted.
I would try and get something out of them, at least some money of the sensors, but from here to rejecting the car there is a long way, and I would eat my hat (not that I have one...) if he got away with rejecting it.

Anyway, the visual thing might be nice, but it really is not the end of the world, you can live very nicely with the basic sensors.
jc74

Post by jc74 »

Finally posted up some pictures!

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =13&t=1361

I've sent the salesperson an email with my concerns, but the showroom is closed today. In fact they were boarding up their showroom whilst I was there yesterday! I'll follow up tomorrow once the world is halfway back to normal.
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: Manual box
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

I nearly ordered my new car from a dealer who had sourced a model part way thru the production process and met most of my specification. I could have had it 6 weeks earlier. It didn't have parking sensors as I wanted but they said that that wasn't problem as they could fit the sensors themselves.
It crossed my mind at the time that dealer fitted sensors might not be linked to the dispay unit. Sounds like I did the right thing not ordering from them.
I can imagine how you feel about that - takes a bit of the gloss off your new motor.
I trust that my factory ordered model will have factory fitted sensors :?
yorkphil
In: Salsa Red
Options: Parking Sensors

Post by yorkphil »

Hi, I also picked up my new 'Rocco this week and have just noticed that the passenger side front seat doesn't return to its previous position once you have moved it forward to let the kids in the back. The drivers side one is fine.

Is this normal or am I going back to the dealers?
jc74

Post by jc74 »

Kev wrote: No. You should have 2 cables for the armrest connection. One with USB on the end and one with an ipod connector. It's free.

Just spoken to the dealer, and they're going to provide a DVD which is good news.
However, they are saying that the Ipod Cable is not free, and unfortunately, even the pricelist suggests that you have to pay for it.
(page 8 )
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/com ... celist.pdf

Does anyone have any VW literature (since the Feb 25 price increase - I ordered after that), which supports me getting a free iPod cable?

The dealer has confirmed they are not factory fitted and are seeing what they can do about the parking sensor issue...
jc74

Post by jc74 »

ZephyR wrote:I nearly ordered my new car from a dealer who had sourced a model part way thru the production process and met most of my specification. I could have had it 6 weeks earlier. It didn't have parking sensors as I wanted but they said that that wasn't problem as they could fit the sensors themselves.
It crossed my mind at the time that dealer fitted sensors might not be linked to the dispay unit. Sounds like I did the right thing not ordering from them.
I can imagine how you feel about that - takes a bit of the gloss off your new motor.
I trust that my factory ordered model will have factory fitted sensors :?
Yes it does take a bit of the gloss off. Especially at the time, they never mentioned that the sensors would be dealer fitted (nor factory). They just said they could get a car with x,y,z and parking sensors.
I hope you get factory sensors if you're waiting the full production lead time - or yes would be very very annoyed!
Kev
Administrator

Post by Kev »

jc74 wrote:However, they are saying that the Ipod Cable is not free, and unfortunately, even the pricelist suggests that you have to pay for it.
(page 8 )

Does anyone have any VW literature (since the Feb 25 price increase - I ordered after that), which supports me getting a free iPod cable?
It was all clarified in a bulletin from Volkswagen to dealers only, using the ‘Desktop’ communication suite on Aug 14th; ref. no. 0510-08. It is free and should be supplied with the car.
bianco
Options: All except sunroof, ACC, Dynaudio & rear seats. Lowered a bit for the looks :-)

Post by bianco »

jc74 wrote: However, they are saying that the Ipod Cable is not free, and unfortunately, even the pricelist suggests that you have to pay for it. (page 8 )

It actually says on page 5, standard equipment: "– MDI (Multi Device Interface) with USB and iPod connection cables"
jc74

Post by jc74 »

bianco wrote: It actually says on page 5, standard equipment: "– MDI (Multi Device Interface) with USB and iPod connection cables"
Thanks for that information, I passed that on, as well as the bulletin.
Anyway, an update: They have agreed to give me an iPod cable, though they still insist it is costing them since VW will not reimburse them. As a good will gesture, they will let me have it for free.
As far as the parking sensors are concerned, they looked into the possibility of either retrofitting the factory kit, or hooking up the dealer fit kit to the radio, but not possible. So they are now unwilling to move on that one.
Personally I feel the suggestion of rejecting the car on the whole is probably something which would be difficult and unreasonable to do, considering the scale of the problem. Admittedly it's a nice to have (the visual display), but not the end of the world.
I still don't understand though how so many cars were leaving the factory without the sensors, when clearly almost everyone wants the option!
tartangti
With a: Manual box
Options: Anthracite Vienna Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Smokers Pack!

Post by tartangti »

jc74 wrote: 3> The leather seats - I'm about 5'9ish and I like my seat low normally (at the lowest setting in my previous cars). However when I set the seat to the lowest position. I either have my legs scrunched up ie unable to stretch out, or my arms have to stretch to reach the dteering wheel! - I've pulled the steering wheel to it's furthest out position which helps, but then I can't reach the radio buttons easily!!! Is it just me, or do other people have problems with the seat adjustment? - I'll give it another go later on tonight...
I usually find the best plan is to get your legs at a comfortable distance from the pedals, pull the streering wheel as far as it will go for reach and then adjust the backrest forward until i can reach it comfortably. If after doing this the seat is too 'upright' for a comfortable driving position then I'll adjust the height of the seat up to compensate and bring me closer to the wheel. I'm 5"9 but guess I must have short legs or something as I've never found a car where the seat at it's lowest position makes for a comfortable driving position!