Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

[split] Sciroccos in the snow

Post by Chungster »

yeah read about them snow socks last year..but think u do need to stay on snow with those. think they get ripped if driving on wet tarmac so creates issue of putting on / removing etc.

Winter tyres is the way to go. :)

Think Stuaz has got more snow than me!!
char
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

Re: Sciroccos in the snow

Post by char »

Chungster wrote:yeah read about them snow socks last year..but think u do need to stay on snow with those. think they get ripped if driving on wet tarmac so creates issue of putting on / removing etc.

Winter tyres is the way to go. :)

Think Stuaz has got more snow than me!!
Autosocks are well worth the money. I live about 100yards down a lane from a B road and had to dig my way out last year to the road which took hours! :rolleyes: Now I've got some Autosocks I can just drive to the main road and then remove them, so highly recommend them when you dont need/want full winter tyres. :) You can use them on tarmac but it obviously wears them out quickly as they are fabric based.
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

Chungster wrote:Trying to decide if I should clear it and venture to the local supermarket for supplies in case I get snowed in next week!!
I just did that and managed my usual trick of opening the door, reaching in to start the engine and the bleeding wipers were left on auto so they immediately swept the screen and dumped what snow there was inside the car :grumpy: Still, it's only -4C out there, what better day could there be for cleaning out the interior?
Bill in Norfants
albertz33
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

Was out again today after a frsh fall of 4" last night, I can confirm these Autosocks are brilliant!! You immediatley notice how little grip the back of the car has, but the socks just keep pulling! Well worth the £60, i cant justify £700 for winter tyres as i only have the car for 1 more year. Looking at them i find it hard to see just how they work, but they do!

If you can still get them, its well worth it :yes: :yes:
yellowplum
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffel Leather, 19" Wheels, DVD Sat Nav, Xenon Lights, Bluetooth Phone, Parking Sensors, Drivers Electric Seat, Electric Fold-able Mirrors, Winter Pack, Hill Hold, Flat Tyre Indicator - added VW Racing Springs, and changed Bluetooth to newer model.

[split]Sciroccos in the snow

Post by yellowplum »

Billc wrote:
Chungster wrote:Trying to decide if I should clear it and venture to the local supermarket for supplies in case I get snowed in next week!!
I just did that and managed my usual trick of opening the door, reaching in to start the engine and the bleeding wipers were left on auto so they immediately swept the screen and dumped what snow there was inside the car :grumpy: Still, it's only -4C out there, what better day could there be for cleaning out the interior?
Mine did that last time, although what was worse was that the window came down and but didn't realise it didn't go quite back into place so as I was scraping all the snow went in the car!
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Well cleared the car, made sure windows didn't refreeze after de icing them (I poured warm water on them first) and they dropped fine!

Filled up with VPower and done the shopping at tesco although I forgot 1 thing. Doh

Roads are mega dodgy tho. Even crawling at less than 10 mph there is soo little grip. Could feel the car sliding all the time. Some people tho were driving at much faster speeds. Hope they've got winter tyres.

One idiot almost hit me on a roundabout cos he came towards it too fast.
drowned_in_sound
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Indium Grey

Re: Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Post by drowned_in_sound »

here's a device which claims to heat up a car before you get into it.

http://www.parkingheater.co.uk/products ... eater.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

If you cant get hold of snow socks at this time of year, get some off cuts of carpet and throw them in the boot.

If you get stuck, stick the carpet down at the front wheels and you'll pull away no probs.
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

The only two outlets that Autosock ( according to Autosock ) sell to are:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( having difficulty with stock )

http://www.brindleychains.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( website down! )

There are other types of socks, some are on Amazon, but i cant speak for how good / bad they are.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

The VW dealers sell them.

Like this (but its out of stock at the mo. at this one)
http://www.shop4volkswagen.co.uk/produc ... _00H091154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Your 1st winter as a Scirocco owner

Post by RW1 »

Another for some who may not being using their Sciroccos at the moment due to the weather...........

Mine has been stood outside since last Friday. Checked the battery voltage with a digital volt meter this morning (4 days without running) ... 12.02 volts. :scratch:

Not so bothered about the lowish volts reading generally but a battery that is fairly discharged can freeze in this state. It is more prone if temps go low enough as around here yesterday at -15'C.

Engine not running and the battery still connected to the Scirocco. Let it settled for a while.... eg. about 5 to 6 hours minmum.

100% charged - 12.60 volts
75% charged - 12.40 volts
50% charged - 12.20 volts
25% charged - 12.00 volts
0% charged - 11.70 volts or less
Ring SmarCharger RSC4.jpg
Popped one of these these on. It has good AC voltage filtering so no need to disconnect the battery and loose settings and causes no damage the Sciroccos electronics. Just clip it onto the battery terminals. Similar units also regulate but this one is waterproof (there may be others :shrug: ). It voltage regulates/cycles so won't overcharge the battery.

Useful Link on Suitable Chargers

C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
jmotero

Post by jmotero »

Post some pics!
Westfaliaman
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: parking sensors

Do windows stick in winter?

Post by Westfaliaman »

Hi, just had my scirocco for a fortnight now , well pleased so far.Thought just occurred to me, if winter and a bad frost, what way do the windows react when you try to open the car.Has anyone had issues with them sticking and not dropping the usual centimetre or so when the remote is clicked?
Thanks,
Sam
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Re: Do windows stick in winter?

Post by Shaun »

Try a search, quite a few threads on this

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... dows+stuck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Westfaliaman wrote:Hi, just had my scirocco for a fortnight now , well pleased so far.Thought just occurred to me, if winter and a bad frost, what way do the windows react when you try to open the car.Has anyone had issues with them sticking and not dropping the usual centimetre or so when the remote is clicked?
Thanks,
Sam
If you do a search you'll find plenty about this.

If you leave your car outside in the winter and we have the sort of temperatures we've had the last couple of years then yes the doors will freeze shut.
playing in my '86
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Oops Shaun beat me to it!
playing in my '86
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Krytox made my winter better :-)

Last edited by Shaun on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

I found gummifledge helped - windows didn't stick on any but the very worst / coldest days.
playing in my '86
martdy
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

Please stop talking of winter .We haven't had summer yet :D
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
RW1
Legend

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

VW have revised the lower window seals on either side since early this year. The seals now include a "lubrication" strip built in.

C.
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!