Does my 2010 TDI have an electric Aux heater !!!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
mickwillow
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Vienna Leather
Bi Xenon Headlights
Winter pack
Metal Pedals
Lux Mats
VW Individual Sills
DAB Radio
Dynaudio Premium Sound
Interlagos 18's
Parking sensors
Electronic folding mirrors
Eos's rear drinks holder
Golf rear vents
VW BT

Does my 2010 TDI have an electric Aux heater !!!

Post by mickwillow »

After reading the posts on warm up times, I was doing sum digging around on sum other vw forum sites on aux heaters and came across this post !

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

."
"The other way to verify its operation is to turn the temp dial to COLD and turn off the fan. Then turn off the radio and close the windows and tell your passengers to shutup, temporarily. Then turn to fan on to 1 and turn the temp dial up from cold. If the engine temp needle is less than 190* you should hear a noticeable relay CLICK under the dash and warm air should start coming out the vents after a few seconds. Turn the dial all the way back to COLD and you'll hear another CLICK as the heater turns off."
Anyway tonight i tried it !, My car had not been ran for 24 hours and the outside temp was 4.5 'C , so started her up, turned everything off, with the heater controls set on cold and the fan on 2 , i turned the temp up to the first mark (18) and could hear a relay click in !!!!, a min also later luke warm air started coming out the vents :D , i'd only driven 1/4 mile !!!

So my Question to us TDI owners do we have an Aux heater or am i wrong ??

PS Don't shoot me down if im wrong !!!!
Joloke
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Viper Green
Options: Luxury "Scirocco" Mats

Re: Does my 2010 TDI have an electric Aux heater !!!

Post by Joloke »

Have to say i cannot say for certain however i have noted that the heating seems to be quicker to give warm output at the Vents than it was on our Petrol Golf :rolleyes:

We were told the heater on the diesel could actually be slower to heat the car but in our experience its been quicker :yes: :nod:

Might try that test tommorow ;)

Also read from a link on that link you gave something about looking out for a 200amp fuse in the fusebox?

Worth a look either way nothing ventured nothing gained :rolleyes:

Jodie :)
Be Kind To The Enviroment and Drive a Green Car. Mines Definatly Green So I am Doing My Bit for the Enviroment ;)
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Joloke wrote:Have to say i cannot say for certain however i have noted that the heating seems to be quicker to give warm output at the Vents than it was on our Petrol Golf :rolleyes:

We were told the heater on the diesel could actually be slower to heat the car but in our experience its been quicker :yes: :nod:
An engine that is not fully run in will have higher friction so will warm-up quicker & run hotter initially. As machining tolerances are more accurate these days, it's not as noticable as much as it used to be, but is still there. Once generally bedded in, at about 5,000 miles, it will be what the sales people informed you of.

---------

There is no need to do any tests. Just go to the engine bay fusebox and slide the two latches towards the front of the Scirocco as shown. Then lift away the cover.
DSCN5753a.jpg
On the front face there are several heavy duty fuse connections. Check if SA4 & SA6 have thick red wires connected. The fuse rating and connections are interchanged between pre MY2010 and MY2010 onwards Sciroccos so see below. :rolleyes:

Pre MY2010 SA4 - 40 Amps. Red/Yellow stripe wire. SA6 - 80 Amps Red/Black stripe wire.
MY2010 onwards SA4 - 80 Amps Red/Black stripe wire. SA4 - 40 Amps. Red/Yellow stripe wire.

If the wires are fitted, the auxiliary electrical heater has been fitted. The photo shows the auxiliary heater has not been fitted to this Scirocco :( .
DSCN6295a.jpg
The 40 Amp circuit (SA4 or SA6) connects the first heating element of three. This is the relay that can be heard above when adjusting the Climatronic controls. This circuit is always in operation when the engine ECU signals the coolant temperature is too low and the Climatronic heating is switched on.

The 80 Amp circuit (SA4 or SA6) connects the other two heating elements of the three. This circuit only comes "on" when the engine is not at idle. By not being "on" at idle this reduces the electrical load on the alternator.

The circuits are only in use when the engine coolant is not hot enough to heat the Climatronic coolant heat exchanger to warm the incoming outside air or recir air. The engine ECU will switch off the heaters once the coolant is hot. The heaters are 1Kw in total. So as observed, at idle, the air will only be luke warm as only 333 watts is available.

C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ukgazman
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Cruise
Winter Pack
Xenons
Sat Nav
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Parking Sensors
Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by ukgazman »

Very informative post RW1! Ill have a look at mine when I finish work.
Caput Mortuum
Options: 18" Interlagos alloys, Dynaudio Excite, Media-In, Climatronic, Cruise Control, Winter pack, Defa engine & interior heater.

Post by Caput Mortuum »

Yeah, great post RW1! Thanks for the time and effort.
mickwillow
Options: Vienna Leather
Bi Xenon Headlights
Winter pack
Metal Pedals
Lux Mats
VW Individual Sills
DAB Radio
Dynaudio Premium Sound
Interlagos 18's
Parking sensors
Electronic folding mirrors
Eos's rear drinks holder
Golf rear vents
VW BT

Post by mickwillow »

Hi RW1 Just checked my relay box connection this is what i've found :D !!
Tried it again today and it seems to work :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joloke
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Viper Green
Options: Luxury "Scirocco" Mats

Post by Joloke »

Just Checked ours its got the wires too :D :yes:

That explains why our Rocco heater works so much better than it did in the Golf ;)

Jodie :)
Be Kind To The Enviroment and Drive a Green Car. Mines Definatly Green So I am Doing My Bit for the Enviroment ;)
ukgazman
In: Deep Black
Options: Cruise
Winter Pack
Xenons
Sat Nav
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Parking Sensors
Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by ukgazman »

I've got the same, seems we have the aux heater. :D
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Engine fuse box on my R....no Aux Heater! Booooooooo

and fuse arrangement on the top

Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

We've got an aux heater, its called the K04, get that spooled up in the morning and enjoy plenty of heat ;)

Although mines not been used since the RR run on the 27th Nov, and not for over a week prior to that :nod:

The benfits of a MK2 GTI winter motor, with a retro fitted heated front windscreen :D
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

yup very true tho...mine warms up quite quickly at the mo. most impressed with it. :)

but the Sport Maxx GT tyres zuck big time in this weather. Sooooo need some Wintracs for next year. Not gonna risk it for 2011/

buy some bargain wheels at Autosport then get some Winter tyres in the summer when prices are at the lowest (unless i find a good deal in the spring due to excess stock they need to shift)
Gilez
In: Rising Blue
Options: Folding mirrors, luxury mats, Black leather interior, DAB RCD510 Radio, Sill Protectors

LED side, interior, number plate, puddle and footwell lights.

DRL coded off, so side lights only. Beep for alarm set/unset coded on.

Build Week 5 2010
10.02.10 - on the boat to the UK
20.02.10 - Took delivery

Post by Gilez »

Great post - I will check mine later, although I am convinced I may have the heater as I drove my car last night (about -3 deg) for the first time in days, and it was blowing warm air before I had even got out of my road :)
I can rely on my car, it's my Roc!!!