ACC how and when do you use yours??

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Jamie_liverpool
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: 2012 10,000 miles, candy white scirocco, dual climate control, rns-510 sat nav, Bluetooth, paddle gears, fogs, bluemotion,

ACC how and when do you use yours??

Post by Jamie_liverpool »

Hi everyone,

Not long been in after a 50 odd mile trip to see the misses and for one of the first times I actually used the ACC!! As most of the trip was M53 and M56 I just used comfort mode but I really felt I could feel a difference with the steering and a smoother ride! I haven't tried sport yet!!

Just wondering how does everyone use there's, like I say I usually just forget it's there and carry on as normal, be interesting to hear what you guys think and what difference you feel each mode makes!

Jamie
Brocky

Re: ACC how and when do you use yours??

Post by Brocky »

This is a question that I've thought about and likely would have asked, at some point, so I'd be interested in people's habits and experiences regarding ACC as well.

One specific question that I have is; Do people stick with 'Normal' for speed-bumps....or would it be better to switch to 'Comfort'?
Jason81
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: - Rear Parking Sensors
- Parrot Bluetooth
- LED Sidelights

Post by Jason81 »

Mostly do city driving, so its usually in comfort mode. If im on twisty roads i switch to sport mode, and rarely use normal. I find that comfort mode softens the ride, generally more relaxed, whilst in sport mode, the ride is more firmer.
Last edited by Jason81 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun1982
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184

Post by Shaun1982 »

Always in sport lol. Did try comfort once & its too wallowy like a goof on huge donut tyres.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Kev
Administrator
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced now by an F-Type.

Post by Kev »

Normal most of the time. Long motorway runs on comfort and when I fancy a bit of A-road fun I use sport.
There's definitely a difference between them so it's worth using them in the right conditions.
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

I can tell the difference between the 3 settings too. Mine spends most of it's life in Comfort.
RocMan
In: Deep Black

Post by RocMan »

I normally leave it on normal but if driving faster switch between modes depending on the road surface and corners. The steering in comfort mode is generally a bit too light for anything other than motorway driving. I like the steering in sport but the ride is then too fidgety for most surfaces in my area. ACC mode doesn't change acceleration at all, that's a myth
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

I leave mine in comfort. As im running 19s and the roads are crap around my area I like to at least try and have a comfy ride. Only have it in sport mode if im on a good road surface and twisty corners. I prefer the heavy steering in sport mode.

As said acc doesnt change the acceleration what so ever. Just adjusts the steering and the dampers is it?
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Phil
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

After watching the fifth gear review on youtube i'm inclined to agree with everything he says, comfort is bit bouncy (perfect for motorways) normal just seems to boring and no one wants to be boring and for everyday driving the sport button is perfect :)
Phil
etotheip
Options: leather, sunroof, parking sensors, 19s, nav, folding mirrors, dynaudio, cruise

Post by etotheip »

comfort for dual carriageways and motorways
normal for around town driving
sport for the open roads :clap:
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

RocMan wrote:ACC mode doesn't change acceleration at all, that's a myth
There's a 'Sport' mode on the DSG box. This has an effect on acceleration and gear changes etc.

I think this is what you've heard about. :yes:

Thanks for the replies, folks.

How about when on a street with multiple speed-bumps, though? Comfort or Normal? I'm not worried about myself being comfortable, tbh....I'm just wondering which setting would be easiest on the car itself. :D

So, seeing as the general consensus is that Comfort is for motorway driving, would it be too soft to use on speed-bumps, do you think?
PGN
Options: Metallic Paint, Cruise Control, Rear Park Sensors, Foldable Door Mirrors
Dynaudio Package, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Factory Floor Mats

Post by PGN »

Given the state of the roads mine is mostly in Comfort.
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Sport mode within DSG only changes tbe piint at which the car changes gears, it does not change the throttle response or make the car accelearate faster. If you change the gears at the exact same point outwith sport mode the performance will be exactly the same.

ACC settings do not adjust throttle sensitivity either just the damping and steering.
AaronMc
Options: Black Pack inc 19" Luganos, Piano Black Dash Inserts, Heated Vienna Leather, Dynaudio, Scirocco R Pedals, Parking Sensors, Needle Sweep Activated, Black VW Badges, Debadged, H&R 35mm.

Post by AaronMc »

I usually leave it in normal, occasionally put it in sport, don't do a lot of motorway driving but then may try comfort!
nestormirny
Options: DCC, Panoramic roof, Bluetooth, Dynaudio, Leather seats

Post by nestormirny »

Cuprabob wrote:ACC settings do not adjust throttle sensitivity either just the damping and steering.
It's strange... I'm sure I can tell the difference when switching from 'normal' to 'sport'. It's the same effect like you drive in a 'sporty' way for some time and then trying to drive relaxed, dsg switches the gears harder (same revs, but with more punch between gears). Placebo?
markjp
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Electric 12 Way Seats, Smoking Pack, 90% Rear Tint, Gloss Back Door Mirrors

Post by markjp »

I use Comfort for Town driving and speed bumps. The rest of the time I stick it in Normal. Occasionally I put it in Sport if I want to drive fast down twisty roads.

I assume that as the suspension is adaptive that in Normal it will change to suit how you are driving and that Comfort and Sport just fixes the adaptive at the two extremes of its settings. Maybe wrong in my assumption, but thats why I usually keep it in normal other than town driving.
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

Left mostly in comfort. But as I live just a five minute drive from some terrific mountain roads in the Brecon Beacons, sport gets the nod and I get a right hook off the wife as she's hanging on for grim death. :clap:

There's one road that I go on that has just about everything, tight hairpins and most of it is like a switchback. Been down it lately and floats would make a better impression, water water everywhere.
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

Thanks for the opinions, folks.

Gibbsy. You got any pic's of your car? If so, throw a few up, if you would. There are nowhere near enough Indiums on here!
Jamie_liverpool
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: 2012 10,000 miles, candy white scirocco, dual climate control, rns-510 sat nav, Bluetooth, paddle gears, fogs, bluemotion,

Post by Jamie_liverpool »

Thank for everyone's opinions, good to know how you all use it. Iv defo been using the ACC a lot more now.
gibbsy
In: Indium Grey
Options: Very pretty Cocker Spaniel in the boot

Post by gibbsy »

Brocky wrote:Thanks for the opinions, folks.

Gibbsy. You got any pic's of your car? If so, throw a few up, if you would. There are nowhere near enough Indiums on here!
Here's a link:
http://www.pbase.com/gibbsy/scirocco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;